Ch 30: Behind closed doors

Kristin

  The house that was once the very core of my peace and comfort now seemed like the very keeper of my darkest memories. There was a smile on my face and a fake laugh from time to time, because that was the mask these people expected to see, but it was no distraction to what that lake house once meant. And what it had become.

  Once, I could say without hesitation that there was not one dull moment in the place.. But now there was no forgetting that devastating goodbye that we had once had to suffer through. And it seemed a part of me refused to even forgive it.

  Across from me, on the armchair near the window sat the only person that could understand my thoughts. Nathan. The very reminder of that time when everything had been a perfect ideal. And the reminder why it no longer wasn't. I couldn't accept the mere thought that it wasn't.

  Everyone around seemed to be having a good time, though.. Because none of them knew. None of them knew of the meaning behind those long gazes Nathan and I shared. Hell, they didn't even notice them. And while throughout every conversation and card game we played, my father tried pairing me with de Marco, Nathan focused his efforts on the wine.

  Oh, he knew. He knew exactly what my father wanted. And he didn't give a damn about it, it seemed. No, not at the moment. What he seemed concentrated on was the meaningful looks he sent me.. And the constant interference of whatever was discussed.

  Not just any interference, but the kind that was directed to me.. The kind that wasn't exactly pleasant, but rather accusing. It seemed that he was very much blaming me for the efforts papa was putting into pairing me with de Marco. Which was far from acceptable.

  "Very well done, Dom. I didn't realize you were such an expert on poker." My father tapped de Marco's shoulder. It was Dominic's third victory. And my father's third defeat.

  Now he rose to his feet, pressing a hand over my lower back to lead me towards the seating area. Nathan, who didn't play, of course already noticed every little move of de Marco's. And wasn't exactly satisfied with it.

  "I try to avoid it." Dominic explained. "Gambling isn't what I strike for these days.. Not when I have such business on my hands."

  "Impressive. At least you've learned from your mistakes." Nathan's words had me look at him.

  Our gazes met that very second, and I wished that my eyes would've been enough of a reminder for him to stop. Stop his little provocations and come to his senses. But he looked away and waited on Dominic's response.

  It was my father that had set me to stand by de Marco's side and be his poker partner.. Nathan knew very well that he could've interfered earlier and took some cards himself. But he had chosen to keep by his wine and merely observe. What was it with this prodding and provoking now?

  "I— Yes, well, one can only repeat the same mistake a few times." It wasn't a bad attempt to avoid Nathan's little statements, but there was no escaping them. When he had his mind set on something, he wasn't going to stop. And that wine didn't help either.

  He stood up, walking towards the fireplace. "Still, you can't resist a few sets now and then. It only leaves a man to wonder just how much would be enough for you."

  Those dark greens spoke more than those words did. Leaning his shoulder on the fireplace, he examined Dominic, and as if he understood the point of Nathan's provocations, his touch disappeared from my back.

  My father interrupted with a chuckle. "Well, I've certainly had enough. I do admit it, you crushed it tonight, Dom."

  I glanced at Julia and my brother. They were all quite familiar with Nathan's protectiveness over me, and perhaps they even expected such incident to occur. But none of them knew the real story behind Nathan's frustration. They didn't know what had happened. They— God, they hadn't a clue what had happened in the car that very day.