Prologue

The wind blew wildly through mother oak, carrying her ancient voice to us. It is time, my seeds. Fall to the earth and bring new life around.

I rattled in my shell as my stem broke off mother oak, causing me to fall down to the earth. I slammed against many branches and leaves, one causing a large crack to open my shell.

Good, I thought, now I shall grow with much more ease.

Once I hit a few more leaf bunches and branches, I found myself on the cold, hard earth. My journey had finally begun, it was time for me to grow into a beautiful oak tree like mother oak.

Tap. Tap tap. A strange sound echoed inside my shell, a pair of teeth soon scratched me, squeezing though the crack. No, A squirrel! It can't end so soon! I have to survive!

Just as the squirrel was about to break open my shell and take me away, it dropped me and ran away. Then, I was lifted off the earth by something soft and warm. What is this strange thing? It's moving me around, but it's not trying to harm me. At least I don't think it is.

"Papa! Look at this! I've found an acorn with a crack in it. I'm going to plant it and we'll see if the earth is good enough to grow things at our new home." A beautiful voice with a strange accent called. Humans.

"Honestly, Elizabeth. We've been out of England for a couple of months and just finished building our home, and now you're talking about planting trees? What am I going to do with you?" A more masculine voice said aloud. Although his tone sounded a bit harsh, you could tell he was a kind and caring man.

"Love me enough to let me plant this tree?" The girl's voice, who I believe is called Elizabeth, said with a hopeful tone of words.

"Hahah, ok. That sounds good to me. Here, I'll put it in my pocket so it doesn't get lost." The man said with a smile anyone could hear in his voice.

"John! Elizabeth! Stop running away from me!" The harsh voice of a woman called out. I was soon dropped into a soft, warm pit of fuzz and I could feel it moving around. "And what's that in your pocket? It better not be another toad."

"Relax, Margaret. It's just an acorn. Elizabeth and I are going to plant it when we get home." The kind man, John, said.

"Well, lets get going. The market opens soon and I don't want all the good things to be gone when we get there." The Harsh woman named Margaret said.

After what seemed like forever of me rolling around in the fuzzy pit and hearing strange, muffled things coming from outside, I was finally taken out of the pit.

"Where shall we plant it, darling Elizabeth?" John said while holding my shell with two fingers.

"Um...over there, papa! I think the hilltop would be a good spot for an oak tree." Little Elizabeth said and ran from her father.

The two raced to the hilltop, laughing all the while, and collapsed at the top. After a few moments of looking at the sky and pointing out shapes of clouds, they decided to put me into the earth.

"I'll go get the water, and you start digging the hole, okay Elizabeth?" John said.

"Alright, papa. But be quick. I bet the poor thing's thirsty." little Elizabeth said. She was right, I was parched, desperate for water for me to soak up.

I was set on the grassy earth as little Elizabeth started to dig with her hands. Once done, her father returned with a large, shiny container filled with water.

"Alright, put it in the hole and I'll fill it with water. Then we'll cover it up and water it again. But first, we need to come up with a name. So, what shall it be?" John said with neverending kindness.

"Umm...Sam. Her name shall be Sam." Little Elizabeth said. Sam? That's interesting. I like it, Sam it is.

"But dearest Elizabeth, isn't Sam a boy's name?" John said in confusion.

"Yep." She said simply, popping the 'p'.

"Hahah. Ok, Sam it is. Welcome to the family, Sam." John laughed, and then I was planted into the cold, hard earth to grow with my new family.