i. Born In Summer

one:

one:

BORN IN SUMMER

on the summer of 92 AG

 EMBER KNOWS HER SISTER LIVES AND BREATHES SUMMER a little bit more than anyone else does—anyone else being the few people that five years old Ember has ever met in her entire life, which considering how she's never allowed to attend most of the festivities and social meetings as she's still too young for most of them, may not be that much to make a proper comparison. But Ember is sure that once she becomes older and wears similar pretty red dresses just like Mylene and her mother and goes to all those meetings she has forbidden to do for now, Mylene will still be a little bit more summer living and breathing than the rest.

It's easy to say it so when there's always summer in Mylene's eyes when she wakes up (the glow of the sunlight is right there, it's so obvious for Ember! She hasn't figure out yet how her sister has managed to trap the sun in her eyes, and Ember has even tried staring towards the sun to obtain the same gleam, only to end up crying); summer in her voice when she speaks about becoming a summer bride in a summer-ish tone (because how else would someone mention summer if not being summer itself? And Mylene is always all summer and sunlight and warm breezes when she talks about her summer dreams); summer in Mylene's cheeks when they are colored in red after spending too much time under the sun or being in the company of sweet prince Lu Ten and his sweet heart that seems to love summer even more each time, because seeing Mylene is clearly seeing summer and then summer is all what prince Lu Ten wishes lately... Or as Ember has discovered, summer paints her sister's cheeks because she only thinks in prince Lu Ten and not too much in summer as she used to a few years ago.

I have to grow up, she'll later explain Ember when one day she asks about the reason Mylene changes her sleeveless and thin summer dresses for long and more formal ones with thick fabrics that cover her arms, and lets her hair grow the longest Ember has ever seen on her when before Mylene would always complain about that being a nuisance to play in the summer (and her now long hair with shiny golden barrettes that were a gift from the prince is nowhere suitable for summer games). I'm not a child anymore, Mylene will say, But you are. You can continue playing in summer with Gin. He's a child too.