A Picnic for Two

The first rays of light crept into the bedroom, slithering over her closed lids. Snuggled down in bed, the sweet teifling frowned, brow furrowed and head tossing. Reluctantly, her eyes slowly opened, blinking as the morning's sun threatened to blind her. With her small pink knuckles, she rubbed her tired eyes and gave her plump cheeks a quick pat. Beside her lay a gorgeous human, his thick crop of blonde hair had swept down and covered his face. She chuckled, tidying his hair and planting a kiss on his forehead. Smiling to herself, she swung her legs out of the bed and tiptoed through their bedroom, making her way towards the kitchen. Her bare and delicate toes pitter pattered over the wood softly so as not to wake her sleeping lover.

Now in the main room, she took a deep sigh and giggled to herself. Excitedly, she danced through the room; weaving in and out of sofas and armchairs. The giddy creature could barely contain herself. Each time she thought of her plan, she'd burst into a fit of happy giggles. She rummage through a huge oak cabinet and pulled out a wicker basket. Twirling and skipping, she flew to the larder. As she opened the door, a flood of smells burst free and she took a deep sniff. One by one, she selected each ingredient carefully: sweet ripe strawberries; thick heavy cream; a juicy watermelon; a vine of plump purple grapes; a fluffy bread loaf with a crispy crust; sausages, meats and steaks they she had saved from her travels; an enormous tub of vanilla ice cream; and, as many cheeses as would fit in her hamper. It would be a feast. The basket was practically overflowing and even her huge muscular tail struggle to carry it. With a great exhale, she offloaded it onto the table before heading back to her room.

The dashing human treated her from the bed as she entered, "morning Kath!" He smiled,
"Good morning my love," She chimed, "sleep well?"
"I did thank you." He paused, raising an eyebrow as she put on a dress that seemed unfamiliar, "You headed someplace special?"
She nodded and giggled before twirling in her yellow frock. The petticoats and skirts burst open like flower petals blowing in the spring wind as she spun.
Still in bed, he watched his darling so happy and smiled to himself.
"Well?" She giggled, "Why aren't you up yet?"

The pair headed through the forest hand in hand, the melting snow crunching under their shoes. Back and forth their clasped hands swung, while birds sung merrily. Kathari admired every flower which bloomed, every petal and bud. Her soft doe eyes sparkled as she gazed upon every living thing which such awe and wonder. Torin sighed, "There's a rebellion in progress; thousands of men and women loosing their lives for our cause yet, here we are, out for a picnic. You sniff flowers which could be blown up tomorrow.. how can you smile..?"
The wise teifling rose from the blooms, her face still alight and warm. She sighed with him, taking his face in her hand and caressing his cheeks gently, "If tomorrow there are no flowers, I shall be able to remember so fondly smelling them with you." She smiled softly, "Yes, things seem bleak and yes, life isn't allows rainbows and daffodils but that is just why we must hold onto these moments. Take some time to smell the roses.." she chuckled to herself before planting a kiss on his lips. "I smile because I'm with you and will keep smiling for you until my final hours."
"God I love you" he grinned, picking her up and spinning her round. Her skirts opened like a huge sunflower as she squealed and clung to him.
"I love you too!" She beamed, rosy cheeks smeared in smiles.

As they continued down the earthy path, they came to a clearing and threw down a soft blue picnic blanket. Kath set out the food she had prepared, laying out a delicate pattern of crockery laced in fruits, breads and meats. Torin sat beside her, wrapping an arm over her hip, hand brushing under her round tummy. She blushed and straightened out her skirt, letting the sweeping topaz flow over her skin. They dined together, enjoying the food and each other's company.
As the day rolled into night, they lay down and watched an ink stain spread through the golden sky. She laid her head on his chest, listening to his heart beat as she played with his soft hair. They all lay together, a little family, together and peaceful.