Miracles

War. It's a devastating concept, but sometimes it's the only way to make events unfold. My great-grandparents knew this better than most. They managed to change their lives with the help of miracles and promises.

As Lily (Yuriko) and Jay stood from afar, the couple watched as their grandson held his first newborn child. A new addition to the ever-growing family. The excitement was felt throughout the family that came to attend. This big family was joyous, but there were many times where they almost ceased to exist. The couple moved forward to greet the little boy to the world. When Lily held the child with her fair hands, she peered down at him with gentle eyes. Staring back at her, she saw the eyes of her husband, the color of rich, dark brown, which always seem to contain layers of emotions.

Sitting at the coffee shop with her girlfriends was the usual thing for Yuriko. Because of this, it often times became boring. It was a tiny room and only half of was it used for seating while the rest was used for food preparation. That day, she sat there thinking of her classmates. Many had left her town due to the war. Not attending class, working at family businesses and even fleeing to the countryside. Of course, Yuriko would have left too, but her family still remained in her hometown so that meant she must do the same. There was also the fact that she was scared, but she didn't want to tell anyone. Ding! The bell hanging by the door shook her from her thoughts. She looked over, but quickly regretted it. It was the Americans. The exact people whom everyone was cowering in fear from these days. The Japanese people had good reason to be fearful. B-29 bombers flew in and out everyday, threatening to burn buildings to the ground. Looking back at the Americans, Yuriko noticed one of them was walking towards her. In fact, he looked to be her age. Though skeptical and nervous, she allowed him to continue to get closer. The boy stopped in front of her, but seemed to look lost for words. He said something that sounded like gibberish, but then she remember. Most of the American soldiers didn't know Japanese. Making a writing motion with her hand, she gave him a blank piece of paper piece to write or draw with. Hopefully, he'll understand what this means. He took the paper and walked back to his friends. The boy stayed over there for a while, so she didn't expect him to return. He was probably just playing with her. After some time, he did come back and to her surprise, he had written on the paper. Yuriko tenderly took the paper from his hand. She tried to read the drawings and random Japanese letters. She conspired with her friends quickly. They all came to the same conclusion. The boy was trying to ask her out!

This baby was accepted into the family right away, but why wouldn't it be. He was now family. Yuriko now noticed that the little boy was trying to give her a smile. Just the thought that he was happy around her warmed her heart. His happiness was so cute and contagious. A familiar ache filled her chest once more. The child resembled her brother in spirit.

Oh Hiroshi...Yuriko's younger brother was always fascinated by the American dance hall. All the G.I.s took their dates to the American club where there was dancing and music. Of course it wasn't like anything in the Japanese culture, but even Yuriko was intrigued. On a sunny day, Yuriko went to Jay. He had tried to ask her out for more than three months, but she finally gave 2 weeks later. At first, it was hard to communicate and they would have to draw pictures, but after sometime, they both learned some words from both of their languages making it easier to communicate. Since Jay was a G.I. and they had known each other for months, she decided to ask for a favor. Yuriko carefully asked him if they could take her brother to one of the American dance clubs. Not only did she need Jay's permission to go, but she would need help carrying her brother. Hopefully, Jay would understand since he knew of Hiroshi's polio. When Jay was asked, he was taken back for a brief moment, but quickly shook it off. He was glad that she felt comfortable to ask. Before they had left that day, he made sure to assure her Yuriko that he would make it happen. All he asked was for her to wait on her doorstep at noon on Saturday. True to his word, Jay arrived a couple days later to escort them to the American hall. While he picked up her brother, Yuriko stretched her shoulders in relief. Though she loved her brother, it was nice to give her back a break from carrying him places. She didn't help him everywhere since there were others who assisted. Her older brother was busy studying and it was her responsibility to carry Hiroshi most places. As the small group set out on the dirt road to their destination, Hiroshi smiled the whole way, despite his predicament. Since the Hiroshi couldn't use his legs, he had found other ways to keep himself occupied. During his free time, he practiced and played the Japanese game "Mahjong". Hiroshi became so good, people from other towns came to challenge and watch him play. Jay and Yuriko enjoyed his stories as they walked under the shade of the trees that stood along the road. Before long, they arrived at the hall, just as the sky was beginning to darken. Music and sounds of laughter was heard throughout the air.

Even in her stupor, Lily continued to hold the child, reminiscing the memories she had with her husband. Little did she know that Jay was doing the same thing. Jay watched his wife hold the baby. A faint memory of his mother overcame him. He used to think of her raising eight children during the war. When he was overseas, they were often on his mind along with his own family. Jay was always anxious to see them when he returned home.

Jay had never won any contests. His battalion's raffle was not in his favor to win. Nevertheless, he was convinced to buy 10 tickets. He needed to win so he could get back to Yuriko, who remained in Japan. Since the war with Korea was taking a hard toll on the men, this was his chance, but also one for everyone else in the battalion to take a break. In just a few minutes, everyone would be gathered to hear the winners name. Of course, there would be jealousy and sorrow that would stain the losers hope, but it was all part of the deal. Some men came up to Jay and playfully bumped shoulders with him. They walked around and were joking around about winning. The raffle meant a lot to them, but Jay didn't take it seriously. He didn't really care about the one-hundred dollars or an Omega watch that came along with 2nd and 3rd place. All he was hoping for was first-place if he was to win; a three-day vacation to Japan. The big field was beginning to fill up with men. Just a couple more minutes. That was the mantra that played through his head until the announcer stepped onstage. A quick hush fell over the crowd like rain over a forest. It was finally time for the drawing. The speaker spoke slowly, as if on purpose, and took out a three raffle tickets. When the anticipation was almost too much to bear, the man spoke with a clear voice and announced the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Groans of pain spread throughout the crowd as people began to leave. Jay stood there confused. Did I hear him right? He looked to his friends and saw their expressions. It was in fact true, Jay was declared the winner of the entire raffle for the battalion. He couldn't believe his luck. He had never won before and never thought that he might in the future. The battalion Chaplin quickly found and approached Jay. He recommended that Jay leave to Japan immediately. The Chaplin was fearful that the other soldiers would suspect foul play.

Lily and Jay gave the baby back to his mother, who was beaming with pride. The couple went back to their corner in the room while the rest of the family met the infant. Jay reached his weathered hand over on top of his wife's. They looked looked at each other with a smile on a proud smile on their faces.

It was time. Jay waited for Yuriko by the building. It took her a while to arrive, but it was worth the wait. Yuriko would have come sooner if her family had let her. She had snuck out without their permission. Maybe because of Yuriko's father's anxiety of her marrying a G.I., she had to leave home quietly, without a traditional wedding or blessings from her family. She would never know for sure why her father resented the idea of her getting married to Jay. Once Yuriko spotted him, she walked slowly and bowed before him. Even though they loved each other, they were very formal. They would have done it earlier, but it took 11 months just to get the papers work in order and signed. Not to mention all the background checks. Apparently, the Japanese women who wanted to marry a G.I. had background checks done, mainly to see if there were any spies in the family. Side by side, they walked into the Embassy building and approached the desk. There was a person sitting in a chair behind the desk. Jay and Yuriko tentatively asked to have their marriage papers. While the lady looked for the papers, Jay thought. He was nervous, but knew that Yuriko was the woman for him. They had been through thick and thin, high and low. He just hoped she felt the same. When the papers were given to the newlywed couple, they left the building. Yuriko and Jay were now married.

Lily and Jay noticed that everyone was gathering around the new-born baby. They followed and stood besides their grandchild, wanting to support him in journey to raise a family. Jay stood next to the infant and leaned down. Then he spoke. It was very quiet and soft, just so it could only be heard by him and the baby.

"You're our new miracle."

All the sacrifices we make, the hopes we hold, it all amounts to what feels like a dream.

---------

Thank you so much for reading!