Chapter 21 - Goblin Attack (2)

Although my thoughts were quite carefree, and I was still annoyed by the fact it messed up my bed, I grabbed my sword and used all of my strength to defend against the shadow that was rapidly approaching me. The moment the wooden sword collided with the shadow, I felt an immense pressure push down on me and now, I could clearly see the form of the shadow. A club - Yes, the goblin was using the traditional blunt weapon to attack me. 

To be honest, I couldn't help but feel ashamed that I couldn't even manage to block the goblin's club. The club was a blunt weapon, which meant that the force received would be the brute strength that the goblin had. Thinking about it, that would mean that the goblin had immense strength. At least, in comparison to the current me, that is.

I gritted my teeth as I tried to「Identify」the goblin.

Goblin

Age: 1 Week Old

Gender: Male

Status: Annoyed

Race: Goblin

Type: Normal (Humanoid)

HP: 23 / 23

Mana: 1 / 1

Attack: 3

Defense: 1

Agility: 2

Wisdom: 0

Intelligence: 0

  ✧ Skills 

「Blunt Weapon Proficiency Lv 2」「Blunt Weapon Mastery (Beginner)」

This goblin is just way too perverted for being a 2 months old goblin! It had an Attack value that could rival Yoshino's and an HP stat of 23! But, its other stats were just... A bit too disappointing compared to the rest of its stats. Actually, if its other stats were higher, I may not be able to beat him... At least I think it's a male, according to the「Identify」skill.

To be very honest, I expected this kind of situation since I was a child and it was a full-blown monster. There was always a difference between humans and monsters or other creatures. However, I didn't give in to the temptation to give up and continued to hold my sword.

Even if my opponent had a higher Attack stat, that didn't necessarily mean I was weaker. Well, physically speaking, I was in all ways inferior to the new-born Goblin. However, in terms of my overall combat strength, I should at least be above it because I had something it didn't. That is,

"Fire sprites, I call upon you, to form a ball of fire. Fire!" I casted a Fireball as I jumped back to evade the goblin.

The Fireball, which formed on my left hand, was fired towards the goblin. Soon enough, it hit the goblin and it started to screech in pain.

[You have dealt 3 damage to the Goblin (Fireball)]

[The Goblin has been inflicted「Burn」]

「Burn」 - The target affected by this debuff will take damage based on a certain frequency. The strength of this debuff will be affected by the strength of the spell the inflictor has cast.

[The Goblin is now taking 1 Damage / 5 seconds]

Fireball... I'm starting to like this spell more and more. I didn't notice that it had a DoT (Damage over Time) effect before since I had only used it against the barrier. However, I noticed that the spell only did 3 damage to the Goblin, which was different from the 5 damage stated in the skill description.

Even though I was shocked by the little damage I dealt, I couldn't miss this chance. The Goblin was now frantically trying to put the small flame on its body out. I took my sword and took the chance to close the incredibly short distance towards us. Then, I slashed the goblin horizontally, but it didn't deal too much damage.

[You have dealt 1 damage to the Goblin (Wooden Sword)]

[Durability of Wooden Sword has been reduced by 1]

Wait... My Wooden Sword actually lost durability from my own attack? Even though the Goblin's skin, maybe hide, was tough, I didn't think that it would be enough to cause damage to my sword.

Wooden Sword

Lv 0 Common Equipment

Attack 1 ~ 1

Durability 9 / 10

No Special Effects

An ordinary wooden sword made with a specific variant of common wood called "Stone Wood"

Hmm... So that would mean that the Wooden Sword can take part in 9 attacks. However, the drop in durability isn't definitely 1. As such, I may not be able to use the Wooden Sword for 9 attacks. However, now that I had struck the Goblin, it had 19 HP left. It still frantically tried to put out the fire and I found that quite childish for doing that in front of its enemy.

Though, this gave me the chance to take it down as I used Fireball repeatedly.

"Fire sprites, I call upon you, to form a ball of fire. Fire!" I casted Fireball.

Slowly but surely, the Goblin's HP whittled down to a mere 7 and I was close to defeating it. However...

[The「Burn」inflicted on the Goblin has been nulified]

Now, it gave its whole attention to me. It had a gruesome disgusting face which seemed like it had gone through the same amount as Michael Jacksons' plastic surgeries or even more than that. Though, it now had a smirk on its face as if it was looking down on me.

Indeed, it may have looked down on me, but after the first strike, I had never looked down on it.

"Fire sprites, I call upon you, to form a ball of fire.

 Water sprites, I call upon you, to form a ball of water.

 Fire and Release!" I chanted.

[You have dealt 3 damage to the Goblin (Water Ball)]

[You have dealt 3 damage to the Goblin (Fireball)]

As for the finishing blow, I used the Wooden Sword, tightly gripped with my right hand, and slashed the goblin diagonally upwards towards the left.

"Hrahh!!" I shouted some sort of warcry as I released the deciding blow.

[You have dealt 1 damage to the Goblin (Wooden Sword)]

[Durability of Wooden Sword has been reduced by 1]

"Ggukkgukk! Ggu..." The goblin cried out as it died.

As such, that was my first experience in killing a monster in this world, not knowing what was lying ahead of me with this kill as my first step into venturing the depths of this world.