1

John was angry. No, angry didn't even come close to the emotion he was feeling. He had been on a nice date until he got a call from the police. That could only mean one thing. Missy got into trouble... again.

He didn't hesitate and left his date, not caring if it destroyed any chances he had had up to this point. He didn't even think about driving his girlfriend home. He just left her to pay the bill and disappeared into the night. Missy was his weakness. When it came to her, he couldn't say no. Both of them had been best friends while growing up, they had studied together and even started working at the same hospital.

One mysterious night and Missy changed completely, abandoned her friends and went down a long path of alcohol abuse and crimes. Missy refused to talk about what had happened whenever John came to bail her out of jail or she just showed up, desperately in need of money.

John never questioned her once.

But that night things were going to change. It had been Missy's last chance and John knew she wouldn't like what was to come. He knew the tantrum she'd throw once she got to know about this. He knew he should turn around and let somebody else take the responsibility but she was his oldest friend and she needed him, now more than ever.

"Dr. Smith?" the policer officer asked, looking tired and stressed.

"Long time no see," he replied, ashamed that they had been so many times in the exact situation.

"I hope she hasn't put up too much of a fight," John said and was disappointed by a shake of head.

"She's destroyed two chairs on the way in and almost broke the window of the police a car. She's been screaming ever since we threw her into the cell," officer Mulligan said and John sighed deeply. Not again...

"I'm going to pay for the damage she has caused... I have got the papers with me. Do you need to see them or am I allowed to take her with me?" he asked and the officer shook his head. "I don't get why you care so much, John. She's insane..."

"She's my friend Michael..." he said and the officer came around the desk and said, "But what's so special about her. All she ever did for you was causing trouble."

"It's... complicated," John said and didn't know how to explain a relationship like theirs.

"Does she know?" he was asked and rubbed his hands over his face, not wanting to think about the fight ahead of him.

"I take that as a no... Good luck friend."

...

John and Missy had been sitting in the car for half an hour without a single word being exchanged.

"For god's sake just start yelling at me already," Missy said and threw her hands in the air, showing her annoyance.

"No," John said and caught Missy off guard.

"Then just drop me off at the train station and I'll be out of your way," she said and looked out the window, arms crossed in front of her chest.

"No," John said again, staying calm even though he felt like screaming some sense into her.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because I can't."

"And why is that?"

"Because you're in my care now."

"And what is that supposed to mean, doctor?"

"I'm your legal guardian from now on and there is nothing you can do about it," he said and looked at a furious Missy.