11. Can't you see I think the world of you?

Okay so this has been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I don't know if it makes any sense, but here's an angsty high school au that's all monologue. Heavily inspired by "Andy, You're a Star" by The Killers (which is a really fucking good song, 10/10 I recommend). This one's scatterbrained, but it makes more sense (at least to me) in the context of the song. TTTYG era.

Patrick doesn't hate Pete. It's kind of surprising, considering Pete's this hot-shot soccer player who gets showered with attention on a regular basis and he's this dorky little band kid hardly anyone even looks at, but somehow, they're best friends. But you want to know what Patrick does hate? His sad, undying, unrequited love for Pete.

It's fairly annoying to have to watch Pete a play like a professional on the soccer field (because he's a good best friend and comes to all his games NOT because he thinks Pete looks hot in his jersey leave him be) and then pretend it doesn't affect him when Pete flashes him a blinding smile and grabs him in a tight hug whenever he wins a game.

It's okay though. Cause even though Pete hangs out in the locker room with the other guys for what feels like hours after the game, he knows that Pete prefers him. Why? Because Patrick reads his poetry and doesn't think it's gay (at least not as in the "shitty" sense) and understands what it means. He understands Pete, in a way not even the most sensitive soccer player on the team can.

And that kind of bond? It's close enough to love for Patrick.

Dates were hard though. Especially when Pete would divulge every nitty-gritty detail of where he and his date and what they did. One that sticks out in Patrick's mind is the bitchy cheerleader he took to a drive-in theater; they'd gotten to second base, but never beyond a first date. The ones that did go beyond a first date however...Patrick doesn't like to think about the love-struck speeches Pete would burden him with at three in the morning. Don't get him wrong, they're all sweet enough to make you want to puke, he just wishes they were about him.

On the other hand, he hates when Pete's heart is broken. He doesn't get any hope out of it, only movie marathons and a sniffling Pete curled up next to him. If they're lucky, Pete will silently fall into a fitful sleep, with Patrick there to hold him and sing to him if he has a nightmare. Sometimes though, Pete will fall into a rut of self-loathing that Patrick has to coax him out of. It's not very hard, if he's honest; all he does is tell Pete what he really thinks about him. He tells Pete how much he loves his writing, and that he's the best player on the soccer field, and that he's incredibly smart in ways no one can even see, and that he wouldn't want anyone else as a best friend, and that anyone would be lucky to have him. He leaves out every "I love you," but hopes against all reason that it's understood.

Occasionally Pete's locker will have a phone number on it. The owner of said number is never seen, and they never leave their name, leaving their identity to be revealed when Pete dials it. Everyone knows Pete's a curious little fuck, so the plan's foolproof, no matter who the vandal is.

The one thing Patrick hates about Pete being a soccer star is the trophy case in the front hall. Well, love-hates. On the shelf filled with the trophies Pete's won for their school, there are pictures of the team. Some of them are group shots, some of them are pictures of them playing, but there are also personal pictures. Like one of him and Pete at an ice cream shop, smiling at each other like they're in love.

Pete was actually the one who had it put there. "It's our legacy, Tricky," he'd said with a soft smile when Patrick asked him about it. He'd thrown an arm around him and added, "When you and I finally blow this hell, people are gonna see our picture in that case and think, 'Wow, look at those two. I bet they rule the world now.'" Patrick hadn't had the heart to argue.

It didn't help him out that Pete's the most charming person on the planet. Even the teachers and administrators love him, despite his trouble-making streak. Every little smile, every compliment, even every goddamn pat on the shoulder made his being light up with joy.

So yeah, Patrick doesn't hate Pete. Sometimes it feels like it'd be easier if he did.