Part 2, Chapter 9

The strong response incited an excited roar from the crowd. Strip smiled for a few more pictures, but didn't answer any more questions. He took his trophy and backed down from the pedestal, meeting one of his crewmembers behind the stage.

"That was short," the pittie, Luke, commented. "Y'know, I was really lookin' forward to you chewing that kid out. I've only seen you angry, like, twice. It's excitin'."

Strip gave Luke the trophy to carry for him. "Not worth my time. Either he'll learn on his own or he won't. None of my business."

The forklift cast a suspicious look at his racer. "I know that tone, you can't fool me. You ain't exactly amped about the win, are you?"

"I'm just tired of watchin' everyone crash," Strip muttered. "Doesn't feel like a win when there's no real competition."

"Ha!" Luke laughed. "That's what I wanted to hear. Now if you'd go say that to his face."

"I think he got the message."

It was true. As Strip left Victory Lane, he overheard a couple questions thrown at Chick, questioning his previous statement on the racers of yesterday. Though he hadn't stayed to listen to the answers, he glanced at the Buick and found him looking agitated.

Over at the sponsor's tent, the team was still celebrating. The moment Strip and Luke came into view with the trophy they erupted into cheers. Somewhere in the back, someone set off a confetti canon, and Strip found himself in the middle of a swarm that consisted of his pit crew and the ever-eager Dinoco girls.

"Alright girls, move aside," his favorite voice said from beyond the sea of celebration.

They parted like the Red Sea, making way for Lynda. She was all smiles as she planted a quick kiss on her husband's lips. In her presence, he relaxed a little.

"Vengeance as a motivator, huh?" she asked lightheartedly. "Works well for you."

Strip shrugged as he watched the masses that had just mobbed him parade the trophy into the Dinoco tent. "You could tell?"

"Plain as day." She drove with him as he made his way over to Tex. "Also, you just left the track after you were done. You don't usually do that."

"I had to make sure Tori was alright, that's all."

"Is he?"

"He'll live. I'll tell you about it later."

Lynda's excitement faded a bit as she noticed his tone. Winning races didn't normally leave him so reserved and solemn.

"There's my boy!" Tex exclaimed heartily as they approached him.

"Hey, Tex." Strip forced a smile.

"I ain't seen a finish like that in years," the Cadillac beamed. "You sure showed that kid who the real king of the track is."

"Please, no," Strip moaned. "Not the name thing again."

Tex chuckled. "Oh, come on. I'm jokin'. It does sound good, though, don't it?"

"I think it's cute," Lynda offered, giving Strip a nudge. "You'll warm up to it."

"No, I won't."

In front of the tent, they heard a cork pop from a bottle. They turned to see the pit crew circled around Luke, cheering him on as he chugged an entire bottle of champagne.

"Oh, yeah," Strip commented, his words dripping with sarcasm. "That there's an excellent image for the company."

"That was supposed to be for you," Tex grumbled, shaking himself in disapproval.