Matches

"I like to burn matches right to the edge. Close enough for the flame to lick my finger tips, close enough for the heat to burn and sting ever so slightly. And then I drop it. I drop it right into water. And watch the flame singe and the smoke to rise" I say to him.
His sky blue eyes cloud with confusion, his eye brows furrow into a creased line. I almost laugh at his simplistic mind, the way he must go through life with a breeze and not worry about the deeper meanings. 

"But why?" He eventually asks after a long time of silence.

"Because I can never stay with somebody, no matter how hard I try I am never willing to take it all the way. I love the feeling of anticipation and seeing how far I can push it. I love the feeling of the tinge of the heat that love gives off, but I will never let it cause any damage. I will never let it get so close that it hurts. Instead I will drop you out of the blue and watch you fall and immerse yourself into that water, I will watch you complain and hiss at what I've done. And eventually I will watch the smoke rise off you and into the air, dispersing every bit of me. Because that's how it is, no one ever stays long enough to truly be in love with me, no one stays long enough to fight for the flame to keep alight. And I will never stay long enough to let that effect me."