Chapter fourteen

Draco's stomach churned as soon as he stepped foot into the classroom; Malcurious's taunting figure stood tall, pillared by arrogance; hatred radiating from his icy orbs, penetrating the blonde; his own eyes glaring.

"Well, class; good morning!" The professor sang, a teasing tone tangled in his voice. "I'm glad to see that most of you were able to drag yourself out of bed this morning-I know, I know, 7am is far too early for a lesson, but this one is...special."

His eyes snapped towards Draco, a devious flash flooding his eyes.

"I'm aware that you were shown the killing curse quite a few years back, however...I've come to believe that none of you have used it..." The class quieted to a sickening silence, flashes of last year engulfing their minds; eyes widening, tugged open by fearful reality.

"He does know Draco is here, right?" Ron whispered, a vicious spite seeping; dripping down his chin. He turned towards Malcurious, fury igniting his eyes.

"Sir!" He called, earning his teacher's attention. Malcurious nodded, allowing Ron to continue. "What if we've seen someone, a pupil, use the curse? Does that count-"

"Only if that pupil is here today..." Malcurious trailed, searching the classroom; an eagerness knotted in his orbs, one shielded by deceitful sternness.

"They aren't." Draco spoke softly, feeble words floating gracefully across the eerie room, catching in Harry's throat; a gentle gulp forcing its way down his neck.

Goyle.

Malcurious' stance faltered, a slight tenseness tickling his tongue; a nervous awkwardness consuming the room.

"Well..." He mumbled, uncertainty evident in his voice. "Right, let's get back to the topic at hand, Draco, could you please join me?" Harry's sweat turned cold; a dreaded sense of realisation falling upon him. He glanced helplessly at Hermione; her own skin painted a sickly white.

"Um, Sir-"

"Today, Draco here will be casting the killing spell-"

"Sir, I don't think that's a good idea-"

"Silence!" Malcurious spat; his cheerful glee vanishing, burnt by the fury bubbling within him. "Now Draco, I'm sure you know the spell."

Ron snickered, rolling his eyes; a narrow glare hollering at the blonde. Hermione dismissed his hateful actions; her eyes fixated on the quivering raven-haired boy beside her.

"Harry-"

"This is a terrible idea..." Harry whispered, fear striking his body. "This isn't even a defence-it's pointless-"

"Death is not pointless, Potter! One more word out of line, and you'll be sent to McGonagall."

Ron turned in his seat, furrowed brows framing his confused eyes; blue eyes resting upon panicked emeralds. His stomach twisted, struck by the intensity of Harry's pain.

"Harry, what's wrong-"

"Okay then, Draco; let's see what creature you'll be killing today." The room echoed with piercing silence, hesitant protests stinging their tongues; pearls forcing their silence to rage. Malcurious flicked his wand, a small rabbit bouncing before him; the same rabbit Draco had saved weeks ago.

The air around it tensed.

"Sir, you can't-"

"Miss Granger, I will not tolerate your behaviour-I demand silence." The daggered glare he snarled towards Hermione quickly faded, twisting into a warped smirk; eyes glinting with eager spite.

"Now, Draco, please raise your wand." Draco shook his head, gushes of wind ruffling his waves; his feet stepping backwards, desperate to escape; the dark glower carved into his uncle's eyes gluing his feet to the floor.

"Now, now, don't be too hasty-"

"Sir-"

"Wesley, silence! Draco, please-come forward."

"No." Draco whispered softly, wavering breaths silencing his plea.

"Come on, now, don't be shy-"

"No." His tone was firmer, like a pillow; feathers entangled, ready to crumble; fragility bursting at the seams.

Malcurious stared, face neutral.

"Sorry, Draco, I must have misheard you." He took a dangerous step forward. "You can't possibly have said no-"

"He doesn't want to-"

"Now, come here." Malcurious grasped his wrist; an unsteady gasp chorusing around the room, the melody foul; vulgar tremors contaminating the curtains. He tugged the boy towards the rabbit; Draco's heels pierced the ground, denting the innocent cobble; a reluctant smudge darkening the ground.

"Come on, now."

"I'm not doing it, please!" Draco spat, a horrific cry ricocheting; bullets plummeting every inch of the room; the students slayed by his desperate pleas.

"You can't make him!"

"Enough!" Spit flooded the room, the teens drowning; swallowed by the ocean of fury.

Malcurious fixated his gaze on Draco, stern authority shattering the ice; blues still creeping passed the cracks.

Draco's eyes began to water; fresh fleets of translucent tears trembling along the length of his cheek; placing a sorrowful kiss against his chin, clinging to the curve of his neck.

Malcurious stared pitifully.

"Now, now, Draco, we all know you. Where's this sudden guilt coming from-"

"I'm not killing a rabbit!" Malcurious tightened his hold on Draco's wrist; his spare hand reaching for the boy's pocket, tugging his wand out; a simple click of the fingers twisting it around the blondes quivering fingers.

"Very good, Draco; now all you have to do it say the words."

"This is ridiculous-you've got to stop!"

"See..." Malcurious muttered, menacing poison swelling within his orbs. "Even Harry thinks you're being ridiculous-"

"What, no! That's not what I meant!" Harry sprung onto his feet; a courageous bravery clenching his fists; eyes threatening. "Let him go!"

"Come on, Draco-speak!"

"Let him go-" But Harry's cries were silenced by the stream of magic streaming from Malcurious' wand; his body jolting backwards, jinxed, by his teacher. Hermione and Ron stood in disbelief, feet rushing to the aid of their friend.

"You're crazy!" Ron shouted, evoking a sinful laugh from his professor.

"Yes, maybe so-but I'm not about to kill a rabbit-"

"Please let me go!" Draco shrieked, body tugging against his uncle's grasp; tears relentlessly falling; two waterfalls flooding his cheeks, drowning the innocence; his youth already swallowed by his haunted past.

"I will, Draco, but first..." His voice dropped, words shaking into a gentle whisper. "...say the words."

"I can't." Coughing cries chocked Draco, vision blurred; the rabbit a mere white smudge against the darkness. "I can't, please."

Malcurious dropped Draco's hand; his body slumping, tumbling against the floor; a wide, blue ocean shimmering upwards, transfixed on his uncle's movements.

The professor turned his own wand towards the rabbit, a blank expression capturing his face.

"You need to learn not to feel, children." He began, irises unwavering; focused on the anguish painted across his nephew's face. "Once you stop feeling, you can strike-Avada Kedavra!-"

The rabbit tumbled, body falling flat; whiskers still, eyes fluttering closed; it's fur scorned, body burnt; brain stopping, heart clenching for one final time.

"-and once you can strike, you can kill."