i. SUMMER BREAK

MEGAN PARKER was the town's favorite. people mostly admired her looks, and it did irritate the girl a little since she wanted to be known for her personality a lot more. in the early fifth grade, people had been asking her out, but she knew it was best for her to refuse all of them since she knew it was all because of her "looks".

middle school was a lot better than she expected, considering she only had one close friend that she loved dearly. the town's obsession with her still kept on going, but she knew that it was good enough to only have one friend by her side, especially since she trusted lauren turner a lot.

now, on a gloomy friday afternoon, megan sitting on a slightly cracked chair as she listened to mrs. brown's speech wasn't the best choice after all. the speech wasn't prepared, yet everyone enjoyed it as much as megan despised it. everyone except the infamous beverly marsh.

megan had heard a lot of rumors that flooded the entire school about the certain strawberry blonde. megan knew that deep down, beverly was just as innocent as everyone else. beverly never kissed a boy, let alone fucking one. after all, it was megan's perspective.

"megan? earth to megan?" a familiar voice echoed in her ears and it shocked her a little once she noticed the redhead cracking a shy smile in front of her. "oh, sorry about that. what's up beverly?" she asked.

"mrs. brown told us to find partners, do you want to work together? it's okay if you don't want to, i can join someone else." beverly let out a sigh in relief when megan sounded welcoming enough.

"of course!" megan cheered as she slumped down in her seat, an enthusiastic smile creeping up her face. "let's not talk about the silly topic, i'm bored of it." she added, causing beverly to giggle quietly.

"let's talk about crushes i guess, i'm bad at topics." she shrugged. "do you have a crush on anyone?" the question replayed again on beverly's head, and she was sure enough to shake her head. "nope."

the two girls rambled on and on about some other topics that they brought up. after eight minutes passed by, the students emptied the classroom and filled the small hallway.

"so, i guess i gotta go to the bathroom, talk to you later?" beverly smiled, earning a nod and a hug from the shorter brunette. "see ya." she held out her hand to high five her, but beverly already left before she got to say her greetings.

megan attempted to walk towards her locker by passing the bustling hallway. it wasn't so easy for her, considering everyone started pushing and squeezing her because of how tight the area was.

she managed to finally arrive at her grey locker, taking out her key as she held the handle bar to pull it open. on the right, she hung a beatles poster that matched perfectly with the pile of books. sadly, she couldn't see the poster clearly because of the books.

she then shoved her history and english books in before her eyes glued to a crumpled paper that was messily placed on top of her math book. she raised her eyebrows but she decided to keep it anyway since her curiosity went next level by the time her eyes laid on it. she slid it down on her pocket before she closed the locker and took a stroll back home.

megan held the door knob and tilted it carefully to the side, knowing it was a bit broken because her sister couldn't stop playing with it.

once it opened, her dad was sitting in his normal position in the living room, a book on his hand as he looked way more interested in whatever he was reading than usual. he didn't like reading, due to the lack of time given since he also had to do some other things in their backyard.

megan raised her eyebrows and rubbed her shoes on the carpet before she waved at her dad. "hey, dad." she smiled, earning zero answers from her dad since he took no notice. "uhh, dad." she repeated, now getting the attention she wanted.

"oh hey meggie, how's school?" her dad made sure to sound ignorant, but megan knew it all too well that ignoring him would lead in so much trouble, especially with a very strict dad like him.

"it's fine." she answered bitterly while her eyes wandered around to look for her sister. "where's ashley?" she asked, and her dad pointed at the kitchen. her eyes rolled playfully once she heard a few noises of ashley opening the fridge, as well as opening a few cabinets to probably get a spoon.

megan walked towards the kitchen, snapping her finger to grab ashley's attention. there, in the kitchen, sat ashley on a counter with a box of cookies as well as a bowl of sushis beside her.

"okay, stop eating. that's my sushi by the way." before ashley could keep the bowl as well as the cookies with her, megan already snatched it away from her grip.

"oh my god." ashley whined as she hopped off the counter. megan shared a wide grin, before the two girls heard a knock coming from the front door.

"girls, get the door." their dad yelled, causing both girls to look at each other and forced each other to open the door.

"it's not that bad, i opened the door last time." megan smiled, convincing her sister to go out there and interact for once. but of course, her sister replied by shaking her head and forcing megan to get the door.

megan groaned quietly before she swung the door open. the next thing she saw was a little surprising, but she kept the expression away from her just so the dark brown-haired boy with thick rimmed glasses wouldn't get so offended.

"o-oh hi." he stuttered, earning a slight laugh from megan. "what?" he asked. "leave the stuttering to bill, i guess. what's up?"

"oh shit, i forgot about that. my friends and i are going to the barrens, do you wanna go there with us too?" a goofy grin appeared on his face, and megan shrugged a bit before she glanced at her dad who didn't hear a single thing richie was saying.

she bit her lip and looked down before a final decision came up to her mind.

"sure."