Chapter One-Welcome to America

August 1st, 2018

Dear Cady Heron,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Northshore Preparatory  Academy for the 2018-2019 school year on our Animal Sciences Scholarship. First semester starts August 27th. Please be...

"EKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!"

The small red-haired girl threw the paper she was holding across the room. "Mom! Mommmmmmmmmm!" She shrieked, running towards a lady who looked like her but 20 years older as she walked through the entrance of the tent she lived in.

"Cady? I told you to only call me if you think your dying but-"

Cady cut her off before she could finish, "I got into NSPA!" The girl frantically waved the acceptance letter in front of her face and jumped. "Honey! That's wonderful! Wow and on a scholarship too?" She said reading through the paper. Cady nodded, rocking back and forth on her toes. "We'll tell your father when we gets back but you need to start packing! Aww, my sweet little Caddie-Waddie, your going to be going in a real school!" She said, pushing her daughter's bright red hair out of her face and looking at the girl with pride. But then it hits her...

Real School.

'I'm going to a real frickin' high school!'

---

2 weeks later, Cad sat crossed-legged in her family's "living room" with a large suitcase in front of her. She didn't have much except flannels and a few vests. "Benti, your flight to Chicago is in a few hours, are you ready?" She heard her dad say as he walked into the tent.

"No, not at all"

He chuckled, "Okay all you have to do is throw all your stuff into the suitcase before your mom sees it and throw it in the back of the car, got it?"

The girl nodded, smiling "Do I have to stay with Jaxson though?" She whined. "Cady we've been over this, it's either you stay with your older brother or you stay with your Auntie Helga. It's only for a week anyway."

Cady cringed, anything was better than Aunt Helga. "Fine, but if his apartment is a mess I'm leaving!"

---

"Flight 972 Kenya to Chicago is now landing" The voice of flight attendant slightly woke Cady up from my nap. She looked around her 'Where am I?'  the ear-piercing wail of the infant sitting in the next seat fully woke her up. 'Right, the airplane'

Cady stood up and grabbed her suitcase from the overhand compartment above the seats and quickly shuffled off the plane.

Woah

All around her people were buzzing, men in fancy suits talked on the phone while parents quickly moved their children around.

"Little Redddd!"

Jaxson

Cady's 18 year old brother found it amusing to call her anything that isn't her name. Cady turned around and ran to him. Ginger hair, stupid tee-shirt, and the same annoying grin he wore ever since he was 7. "Wow Jax, I see your brain is still the size of a shrew's"

"Wow Cads, I see you still think your better than me."

"shut up"

"Man, you sound like one of my ex-girlfriends, God, she was the worst!" He said as they left the airport and walked to his car.

"Really, maybe she realized that you can't do advanced calculus?" Cady mocked. "What was her name?"

"Regina" He spat out the name like it was garbage.

"She sounds like the wicked witch who gives you poisoned candy." She said as they got to the car. It was an old Buick that looks like it went through too long of a story to even be remembered.

"Yeah imagine that but blonde...she was pretty hot though. Some nights I would just-"

"Okay ew gross, I did NOT need to know that"

"Fine, loser"

"Pervert"

"Nerd"

"High school dropout!" she yelled, remembering the time he called her a few months ago

"Shh, what mom and dad don't know can't hurt them"

"Fine"

---

As the siblings pulled up to Jax's apartment building, Cady noticed a girl around her age walking down the sidewalk. She turned to her brother.

"Who's that?"

"I'm not really sure, rich kids always come and stay over in the beach houses in the summer, she might be one of them."

The girl had long dark brown bleached a bright blonde and the end all tied up into a high ponytail. She wore denim shorts and a black tee shirt that said "Embrace the Unusual"

"You should go talk to her!" Jax exclaimed, shaking Cady shoulders. "Wait what? Why?"

Jax rolled his eyes, "I may hate you, but I'm not allowing you to have no friends while you stay at my place"

"For your information, I have tons of friends." It was true, Cady does have a lot of friends.

It's just that none of them are human.

'dangit' Cady thought.

She sighed, leaving the car. "Jax, I'll make friends on my own, you don't have to worry about me all the time."

"Says the one who lived in Africa for 12 years?" He said, following Cady out the car and they walked inside the building.

---

The apartment was small and Cady had to sleep in the guest room but besides that everything was fine. She was only staying here for a week until school starts.

"Cady, now that we're friends, I decided to make you my new project." Jax said from his kitchen.

"Wait what? I'm not a project!" She screamed. "Oh my god, it's a quote Cads, ever heard of Wicked?" Jax laughed. "Dude you seriously need to get Americanized" He said.

"Why?"

"So you can fit in?"

"Why"

"So everyone doesn't hate you?"

"Why?"

"Cady Marie Heron, please stop being yourself! You're entering high school! This isn't some cliche 2004 cult classic high school movie!" He yelled at her from across the room.

"What's a cult classic?" Cady asked. Jax rolled his eyes and starred at her with a look of disgust "Okay lesson one" He grabbed Cady's arm at sat her down at the kitchen table. "The Internet."

---

Four days and 26 rants about Jax's favorite ships on TV later, Cady was apparently "Ready to face the real world". This meant dropping her off inside the mall and Jax leaving her with a school supply list and money to buy "better clothes" for when she has to go to school on Sunday.

Cady looked around, people were huddled in small groups, entering and leaving even smaller stores. She gave up on finding clothes here and just walked around. There were so many people walking past that Cady couldn't help but wonder if they were all starring at her. It was like she had a sign on her back saying 'I DON'T BELONG HERE.'

'If this is what teenagers do in the summer, how am I gonna survive at school?'