Chapter 17

A drop of water.

You stirred in your sleep, the net’s rope digging into your back, causing you to let out a pained moan. Shawn’s unconscious body reacted to your movements, his arm tightening around your waist. 

Another drop of water.

You groaned, debating on whether or not you should open your eyes to see why the hell the ceiling was dropping water on your face. Once you let an eye open, you quickly shut it back close. Instead of the usual black ceiling, the sun was shining back into your eyes. 

"What the hell?" you rubbed at your eyes to try and adjust to the blinding light of the early morning. You realized that once you sat up, the net swayed below you. You had fallen asleep on The Net with Shawn. 

You looked to your left to see that Shawn was still fast asleep, one arm dangling where your body had been just a few seconds ago. His face was relaxed, no rough edges or sharp cheek bones as usual. He looked chubbier, like a little baby. It was adorable.

You were about to wake him up but the next drop of water did it for you. His eyes snapped open, and in an instant, it shut back up like yours did. 

"Jesus," he mumbled, a rasp to his unusually deep morning voice. "Turn off the lights." 

"You can’t turn the sun off, Shawn." you chuckled. You let your arms stretch behind you as you leaned back on them, letting your groggy skin soak in the morning sun. 

"(y/n)?" his eyes immediately snapped back open. He let out a groan. 

"Morning, Sunshine." you winked at him, last night’s occurrences giving you a boost of confidence. 

"Good morning," his chapped lips stretched into a smile. You let out a surprised giggle when Shawn’s hand encircled around your waist again, forcing you to lay back down on the net. 

"We fell asleep under the stars," you announced as if he didn’t already know that. 

"It was cute.” Shawn’s smile widened. You laughed at the reference, memories of the first night you two spent together coming back. You were too busy in thought to realize that he nuzzled his sleepy face into your neck. 

"Your hair tickles." you sighed happily, your hands weaving through his short hair the same way they did when you two kissed last night.

"Mmm," he breathed, his breath fanning your neck. "I like it when you do that." 

"So, I guess we’re together now?" you grinned. He pulled away from your neck, his hand now on the side of your head to prop his body up above yours. 

"Don’t be too happy about it, prepare for endless teasing from Four and my sister." Shawn chuckled, a blush on his cheeks nonetheless. 

"I don’t mind." you smiled up at him. You were too busy admiring the way his face looked when every little detail was visible under the sunlight to notice that another drop of water had settled on your cheek. 

"Is it going to rain?" the edges of Shawn’s lips tugged downwards. Your eyelashes fluttered as a reflex when Shawn’s thumb softly wiped off the water droplet. 

Just in time, another droplet fell on your face, then another on the back of Shawn’s head, then one on your toes, then another, and another, until the whole sky started dropping a million water droplets at once. 

"Oh my god!" you shrieked. Shawn let out a loud laugh, calmly looking up at the now greying sky. In a millisecond, both of your bodies were instantly soaked. You thanked the heavens that the Dauntless color was black instead of white. That would have caused some unnecessary awkwardness.