The Story

A light fall breeze was whistling in the air, blowing 14-year-old Clara's shoulder length blond hair as she rode her bike home alongside her redhead friend Lila. Clara's 13-year-old sister, Sara, kept on buzzing about the topic they had chosen for the Halloween edition of their school newspaper, flicking her dirty blond hair out of her eyes, clearly showing her freckles. The old mansion near the school was always the talk of the town this time of year. Tons of stories buzzed around about the old house. Giant rats, giant bats, ghosts, a cult headquarters, but no one knew the truth. They arrived Clara's house to get started, to find her great-aunt Virginia sitting on the porch. She gave the three a smile, "Well, what are you ladies talking about?" she said, softly. "Hi aunt Virginia! We were just talking about the old "haunted" mansion. It's our topic for the school paper." Clara explained in a sarcastic tone, smiling. Aunt Virginia's eyebrows came together, "Oh, that mansion is haunted. I know it! When I was young, I saw a ghost floating outside that house. I lived near it you know!"

"You did?!" Sara exclaimed, eyes wide. Her aunt continued, "Yes! It was a young girl, hovering outside. She had long wavy hair and wide, innocent looking eyes. I just stared at her. Once she noticed me, she flew away quickly towards the house. I tried telling my parents, my friends, anyone I could talk to. No one ever believed me. Said I was seeing things. Said I was crazy! But I know what I saw!" She finished passionately. The girls were all stunned. They had heard so many different stories about that mansion. Maybe they could prove some stories were true. They were reporters after all. "We have to check it out!" Lila muttered.

As fast as they could, they got on their bikes and bolted to the house. Clara only thinking about the secrets that could lie ahead.