Fifteen

I groan and slump out of bed as the incessant pounding at the door continues.

Who is knocking on my front door at six in the morning?! What could possibly be that important to wake the whole house up at this unreasonable hour?!

I open the front door, angrily at first, not understanding who in their right mind is pounding on my door this early. But when I see who it is, the anger quickly fades away.

"Office Meenan, please come in." I open the door further to allow him inside where he can be shielded from the light rain outside. "What brings you here so early in the morning? Do you want me to make you coffee or something?"

"No no. That's not necessary. Congratulations on the baby by the way. I brought a little gift."

"Oh my gosh. That is so sweet." I smile and grab the little stuffed dog he pulled out of his pocket. "You really shouldn't have! That is too kind!"

 "You really shouldn't have! That is too kind!"

I hold the toy close to my heart. This means a lot coming from him. He has been in my life since I was barely able to walk. He has always been there for me and my family.

"Are you sure you didn't want something to eat or drink? I really don't mind." I offer again.

"No, really. I am here on official business." He turns down my offer again.

"Official business to give me a stuffed toy?" I ask, unsure of what is going on.

"The toy was, uh, an added bonus. I wasn't sure if I would have time to give it to you before the baby so I figured when I was on my way here anyways, I would drop it of." He sticks both of his hands in his pockets.

"So what is this business then?" I ask. "I'd hate to keep you from doing your job."

He sighs, almost seeming to regret that he came in the first place. "Have you spoken to your father recently?" He asks, getting right to his point.

"Not since before the trial, why?"

"He was taken to the hospital late last night to treat a mildly dangerous head wound. Him and another inmate got in to quite the fight that ended with his head being bashed several times on the cement floors within the prison." He informs me.

"Oh wow." My fingers cover my mouth. "Is he alright?" I ask out of force of habit. I guess I still care about his wellbeing even though he killed my mother and four other women. "Will he recover? What did the doctors say? Is he okay?"

I care about him but I really wish that I didn't.

"Well, that's the thing. We aren't really sure of his condition. Or anything really." He admits.

Oh god. Is he going to die? Am I going to lose both of my parents in the span of just a few years? I don't think I can handle any more deaths.

Plus, I was kind of hoping he would live a long, healthy life so that he would spend all of his days rotting in his cell for what he did.

"I thought you said it was mild? How can you not know his condition if it was mild?"

"We don't know his condition because he has escaped police custody, Avery."

Author's note: oh shoot...

It's poll time! Select your favorite of Hillary's kids. And tell me why!! I think I asked you this question a while ago and I am looking to see how your answers might have changed since then!

Logan

Peter

Kara

Summer

Mason

Tilly