Vampires Will Never Hurt You (One-Shot)

Regrets. Everyone has them. You make a mistake, you end up wishing you never did it. My regret, however, was most certainly in the top five worst regrets ever, if not number one.  It all started February twenty-first, two-thousand fourteen. That's when I made the worst mistake in my life.

"My name is Kennedy. Kennedy Lilbry." I informed the sour-faced woman at the front desk.

"Here." she muttered, shoving a key card in my face without any other information. I took it from her, then looked to see what room I was in. 

"This seems rather high - " I started, narrowing my eyes.

"It's on the fourth floor." she snapped, and I pulled my bag towards the elevator. I roughly pushed the 'up' button, and glared at the cold, steel doors.

From outside, the building had looked completely run-down, and abandoned. So I knew there wasn't enough people here to fill up three whole floors. There hadn't even been anyone else in the lobby but that one lady at the desk.

I let out a long breath and gripped my bag tighter as I silently urged the elevator to move faster, then the doors opened, revealing no one. I immediately went inside and shut the doors, then pushed the button to go to the fourth floor.

I narrowed my eyes as I heard a strange noise coming from outside the elevator, but brushed it off as nothing when the doors opened again. I just about ran to my room and jammed the key card into the slot. The door clicked open and I went inside and turned on all of the lights, then unpacked some of my things. 

It was almost eleven, and I hadn't slept in over twenty-four hours. I turned on the television, then went into the bathroom and changed into some pajamas.

I folded the clothes I'd had on all day and went to put them in the suitcase, and sat on the edge of the bed. I stared almost mindlessly at the television as the channel advertised something with flashing, bright-colored lights. Then, that disappeared, and a woman standing outside with a microphone replaced it. 

I muted it almost instantly as I saw what she was going to be broadcasting about in bold, white letters along the bottom of the screen. Death. It was something I'd had enough with. But I knew it would never stop. 

I glanced over at the window facing the hardly-lit streets. I stood up and closed the broken white blinds, that hung crooked, but thankfully covered the whole window.

I turned around then started shutting the lights off, but I left the TV on. It wasn't very bright, in fact, it hardly lit the room. I left it on mute, then got in bed, and closed my eyes.

"You think you could run from me?" I heard his voice say; full of amusement, and almost taunting.

"No." I replied, not opening my eyes. I heard him laugh breathily.

"You're lying." he suddenly hissed, right beside me. I jumped and opened my eyes to see him standing next to me. From the flashing lights the television was giving off, I could see his eyebrows narrowed as he stared down at me, yet his lips formed a small smile.

"Why won't you leave me alone?" I asked, glaring at him.

"Why, I need to check up on you, seeing that you don't have anyone else to look after you anymore..." he said, smiling with his teeth.

"No thanks to you." I spat.

"Hey, I didn't do anything." he said, staring at me.

"You tricked me."