Rain and Tears

I made the shower very hot. It burned, creating a pleasurable ache in my muscles. It felt so good. For a while, I just stood there letting the hot water run over my body.

I reluctantly finished taking the shower, and got dressed. I put on some sweatpants and a t-shirt.

I decided against going downstairs, mainly because I didn't want to deal with anyone at the moment. So I went into the room I was staying in and laid down on my stomach, resting my chin on my pillow and looking out the window.

It was raining. There was something about the rain that I simply loved. It was so relaxing to watch. I could watch the rain all day. The pitter-patter of the rain drops hitting the window was relaxing.

As I stared out at the rain, I found myself scarcely thinking about...what had just happened. I focused on the rain drops on the window and watched them slid down. I watched them race and danced, and focused on that.

However, my mind was unable to keep from wandering. So, inevitably, images of my smiling parents would dance into my mind. I felt a hole inside me. I was numb and unable to cry. I just stared at my rain drops, hoping to push sadness from my memory.

A few tears rolled down my cheeks, racing the rain drops on my window.

"Jane, sweetie? Are you ok?" Mrs. Weasley's gentle voice came from behind me.

Unable to find my voice, and not even sure if I was ok, I didn't answer.

There was silence after that so I figured that she had gone back downstairs.

As it got darker out, I started to get cold, thirsty and a little hungry. So I slowly walked down the stairs. Remus and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were all in the kitchen talking. When they saw me, they fell silent. Fred and George were in the far corner playing chess and Ginny was reading a book.

They all looked up at me, which made me feel really awkward.

I shivered, and then Mrs. Weasley asked me if I would like some hot chocolate.

"Yes please." I responded in a soft voice.

She began making some and Mr. Weasley told me to grab a seat in the living room.

So, I sat in the comfy chair in front of the fire and rubbed my hands, trying to warm up a bit.

One of the twins walked over with a blanket. He handed it to me and I smiled saying, "Thank you."

"No problem." He said.

I wrapped the blanket around me and Mrs. Weasley came in with the hot chocolate.

"Thanks." I said taking a sip.

Mr. Weasley sat on the couch across from me, and Remus sat on the arm of it. Mrs. Weasley left, and I knew where this was going...

"Jane," Mr. Weasley asked, "Would you like to know what happened the other night?"

I nodded.

I was burning with curiosity, but I still wasn't sure if I wanted to know what had happened. After all, where had everyone gone? I'm assuming most of the wedding guests went home, or hopefully they did.

But what about Bill and Fleur? What happened to them?

And where the hell were Ron, Harry, and Hermione?

Mr. Weasley nodded. "Ok."

And then he explained to me what had happened that fate-filled night, when everything changed.

The Ministry had fallen and death eaters attacked. Apparently my parents were the only ones who had died. Others were wounded, but only two were killed.

Silent tears were falling from my eyes.

"What abut Harry?" I asked. "Is he ok? And Ron? And Hermione?"

"We believe that they are safe." Remus said.

"Molly has been a wreck with worry, but if Voldemort has caught Harry Potter, we're pretty sure that we would know by now." Mr. Weasley explained.

"How about Bill and Fleur?" I asked. "Are they ok?"

"Yes, they are fine. They...moved in to their house."

I was a little confused. When did they get a house?

Remus looked at me with solemn eyes and said something that scared me a lot.

"We are being watched."

My eyes widened.

"So, Jane, we are hoping that you understand this next decision based on the current situation that we are in." Remus started.

Now I was really confused.

"About what?" I asked.

"Your parents." Remus said kindly.

I was silent for a moment, trying to understand before I asked, "What about them?"

"Well," Mr. Weasley started, "we think it best, that we hold off on any sort of memorial service."

I looked perplexed, I'm sure. "Why?"

"Now, it is completely up to you, as you were their only child, but we are asking you to consider holding off on a funeral or wake until it is safe."

"Wait until when? How long?"

"It is up to you. But, considering the circumstances, wouldn't you think it best to wait?"

I considered the idea.

"That might be the wise thing to do." I agreed, "But I don't want to wait too long. I...I really need some closure. And the sooner the better, so I'm not waiting for this war to be over if that's what your asking."

"Oh no, nothing like that, we were thinking perhaps a month or so?"

I thought about it, and decided against it.

"No. I want to get it over with. Can we do it in a week or two?"

They looked skeptical, however, they reluctantly agreed.

"A week it is." Said Remus, nodding at me.