Chapter 4: The Sailing Master

The sound of waves crashing against the sides of the ship, and sails billowing in the wind seemed deafening in the silence that took place aboard the deck of the pirates' new vessel. John steadied his aim on the stranger from below the decks.

       "Mate, if you plan to live, you best start talking" he said. The merchant took a deep breath, and raised his hands.

       "I'm mean no ill intent. I'm simply a member of the former crew" he replied. "My name is Nicholas Wells, I'm the sailing master, and stand in logistics officer."

       "Give me one good reason for me to keep my crew from killing you where you stand, and feeding you to the fish?" asked Les.

       "I- I can help you all! I know how to rig a ship pretty well, a-and find the fastest, most efficient path" Nick replied "Just please don't kill me." The crew exchanged looks, and then turned back to the merchant.

       "Drop all of your weapons." Commanded Chris. The merchant complied, unsheathing a cutlass, and removing a pistol from its holster and placing them on the deck in front of him. John lowered his pistol, and placed it in his holster.

       "You're a sailing master eh? Tell me mate. What does that job entail?" he asked.

       The merchant shook with fright, "I commanded the ship's rigging, to keep her on the wind. When we chose contracts to take, I charted the best courses" Les approached him, slowly.

       "So you can rig, and navigate eh? Prove your worth. Get us on the best course for our destination, Galleon's Grave Outpost" said Les. The merchant walked down to the map table, and quickly returned.

       "W-well, if you look off the port bow there, you should see Lonely Isle. Once we're about to pass, you'll want to turn about 45 degrees to the port, trim your sails, and continue due east. Galleon's Grave will be on the port side. If the wind keeps this way, we should arrive by midday tomorrow." Les looked over his shoulder to his crew, grinning.

       "We kindly appreciate the information Master Wells, we'll be taking it into consideration, as we decide what to do with you." The merchant grew frightened. Les turned back towards his crew, walking towards the wheel. As he approached the stairs, he shouted behind him. "Brig him!" Chris and John grabbed the merchant by the arms, and walked him below.

       When the two of them returned, Les was leaning on the rail at the helm.

       "What should we do about the merchant?" he asked.

       John replied quickly "Kill him."

       "Kill him? Why?" replied Les.

       "He's a liability, a loose end. I don't like having loose ends. He squeals to the wrong person at an outpost, and it could be bad."

       Les nodded "And what do you think Chris?"

       Chris shrugged "We could recruit him" John snapped his gaze to his new crewmate. "He knows how to rig and navigate, not to mention, he's spent far more time on a galleon than we have, meaning he knows how they react a bit better than we do."

       "Are you out of your damned mind?!" shouted John. "All it takes, is him talking to one trader at an outpost, and the Merchant Alliance will have their whole damn fleet hunting us down!

       "Who says he'll even report us?!" Chris retorted "We may pay him better than the Merchant Alliance, making it less profitable to turn us in!"

       "Oh, but the Alliance will pay good coin to retrieve a lost vessel, trust me. They won't be losing their ships." John replied.

       "Alright, enough!" shouted Les, and the deck grew silent. "We give him the option, of death, or a position as sailing master aboard the Revenge. If he accepts, he doesn't leave the ship at an outpost, without supervision, savvy?" Chris and John glanced at one another, still red and the face, but they reluctantly nodded in agreement with the captain.