Back Together

The next morning things were back to normal. Feister went selling with Mush again and they seemed to be back on good terms. They both finished early and were now sitting on their curb, talking and having a good time; it was almost as if nothing even happened.

Instead of going to Jacobi's they got some fruit from the grocery store and some fresh bread from the bakery across the street. Sure, it wasn't much, but with everything going for the past few days they needed some quality time together. They were sitting under the tree where Wolf and Jumps used to take them when they were younger, and were talking about old memories.

"Oh there was also the time we had a snowball fight," Mush said. He then laughed at Feister's annoyed face. "Yer just mad cause ya got ambushed." this was true, Wolf, Jumps and himself all threw a bunch of snowballs that seemed bigger than the smaller girl. But she did get them back. And boy, did she get them good.

Actually compared to what Mush got for paid back it made Wolf and Jumps look like flurries. Let's just say Mush was colder than a snowman in a blizzard, and his blueish eyes looked like two little cubes of ice.

She rolled her eyes. "Am not," she slapped his upper arm. "Sides, I's not the one who looked like a snowman after."

"That's cause you'se pushed me down a hill that sent me into some kids' snow fort." Mush could swear he still felt his head spinning from the roll down. But it was just in his head, as everyone told him. Feister laughed so much that her stomach hurt. She could still see two four year olds throwing snow into Mush's face for crashing into their fort. Literally.

"Wasn't that the day you'se swore ta never mess with me again?" Feister asked once she calmed herself down.

"Nah, I's learned that the day I's met ya," Mush replied. Then they both started to laugh at the memory. Not only was that the day they met, but they day they earned their nicknames and started a lifelong friendship.

"Fancy seeing you here," a voice interrupted that made Mush perk up like a daisy. He stood up and went over to the visitor and hugged her.

"Whaddya doin' here?" he asked.

"I was just walking by and I saw you, so why not pay a little visit," she replied. Feister then felt something burn up inside her body. She didn't like what she was seeing, and she wanted it to end. Who was this girl? And why did she seem so close with Mush for?

She then stood up and crossed her arms, seeing that Mush had forgotten that she was there. "Who's ya friend Mush brains?" she asked coldly.

This seemed to grab his attention because he turned around and said, "Oh I's almost forgot, Feister this is Lacey; Lacey this is Feister," he introduced the two girls. He could see Feister wasn't too happy about...any of this. He saw that a fire was starting to flare up in her eyes while she kept a stone cold face.

The girl...Lacey, smiled, but Feister could tell it wasn't a real one. "Oh, so this is the girl you keep talking about," Lacey said while lightly hitting Mush's shoulder. Feister then felt the burning feeling in her body flare up more. She was the only girl who ever did that to him. But she always did it with a lot more force.

It was all in good fun, but still, she didn't like this girl. First...Lacey takes Mush away from her, then starts to do the thing she does most to him, and what next? Will Lacey replace her as his best friend?

"Funny, he's never said a word bout you'se," she thought. Feister really wanted to say that, but bit her tongue and continued to have a stone cold face. As this went down Feister examined...Lacey, who has wavy blonde hair, blue eyes, dressed a little nicer, a tad taller, looked about a year older and definitely more...girly

"Nice ta meet ya, Lacey." Feister said. "I'm guessing yer his goil." it killed her to say those words from the inside out. She started to feel more fire burn inside. If that was even possible. She didn't know why it hurt ten times more to see....Lacey with Mush, but it just did. If this was the girl that Mush was ditching her for, then well....let's just say it probably wouldn't end well. Lacey is definitely a lot prettier than she is.

Sure, Lacey wasn't high class nice. Lacey was wearing a light brown skirt and a white long sleeve shirt; which is pretty much high class to what Feister was wearing. Brown work boots, dark pants, a light grey plaid shirt with the sleeves rolled up to just above her elbows, dark brown vest and a grey cap that were all well worn out.

Lacey was also a lot cleaner, while Feister had dirt smudges on her face and her forearms, while her hands were ink stained. Yup, Feister and Lacey were completely different from each other. But, there was one thing that Feister has (or in this case knows) something Lacey doesn't.

And that's Mush. Feister pretty much knows everything about her best friend and could name something right off the bat without thinking twice, but Lacey probably doesn't even know how to spell his name.

Lacey smiled and nodded. "It's nice to meet you too, Feister." Lacey reached her hand out to shake. Feister spit in hers then held it out. But Lacey pulled away, with a horrified look on her face.

Feister rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. One thing that Feister wished people who didn't live on the streets knew that when a street kid spits in their hand it's their way of trust, or something like that. Actually, she didn't know why they did that, but it was some street kid form

"That's real nice, but I'm his best friend." there was something inside Feister that said, "yer just a random goil that he met, but I'm his best friend, which means I've known 'im longer, an' I's know 'im better than you ever will."

"Meaning?" Lacey asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

"Oh nothin'," Feister replied, using her most sweetest and innocent voice. Mush tried to keep a smile on his face. He knew the voice Feister just used all too well. It was the one she used before she started chasing one of the boys when she got mad. "Just thought you'se should know." Feister had the sweetest smile and Mush was starting to think that this was a bad idea.

After that Lacey pulled Mush so now his back was facing Feister. "Ya know what, it's gettin' late," Feister said, trying to grab Mush's attention. But he didn't hear her. "If we don't hurry we's gonna get in trouble," Feister said a bit louder.

After a few seconds Feister heard...Lacey...giggle and say something about a date that night. Having seen enough she ran off to the Lodge. Once again Mush was choosing a random girl over his best friend.