Untitled Part 1

The group

My town is a small town. Everyone knows everyone. One general knowing. Together with that knowing, comes love, right?! Love in a great amount. Or not? Wait a moment, we don't approve fiction here. No one loves anybody. No, no, no. We don't approve oversized tragedy either. We love each other, but in a precise, satisfying amount. Just as much as we can, in order to sleep peacefully, while we hurt each other daily with imaginative justifications. To be honest, daily we all do hundreds of little crimes, which we don't consider a bad thing at all, because we all truly believe in their necessity. Our town is governed by Me, Me and Me again. Not Me as the person who is writing this, but Me as Me, myself and I, what allows us to get up every morning and take a look in the mirror without vomiting. We love ourselves. Each one for himself. Each one for herself. We don't have any common goals or ideas, we only like to think about ourselves. We are ideal for self-love lessons.

One day a new professor arrived in our small town. A young, optimistic professor, who brought with him one completely new situation. It didn't happen right away, no... First thing that did happen, when he arrived, was confusion. Mess, confusion and a climax of Me, myself and I. All women desired him openly, all men desired him secretly. But all of us fought for a piece of his attention. Eagerly. Passionate. No matter how small it was, it was a reward. A look, a smile, a wink, a little bit longer hand shake, a hug, or the luckiest ones even a birthday kiss. Everyone was operating against each other, all having only one goal – to humiliate the other one, so one could grow for professor. We were all seducing. We were all plotting. We were all envious. We were all cheep sycophant. We were all ready to betray and sell anything and anybody just for his one smile. And he had a divine smile. Magnetic smile.

So, the new situation was a fancy gathering. Not just any fancy gathering. This was something our town has never seen before. A party on a whole new level. On a big city level. In his house, in the middle of our town, he invited everyone of us in the name of some fictional celebration. His big city friends came and made a whole new scene in the ordinary small town house. The house now had warm, wooden floor, light that seamed unreal, music that no one knew exists, wide, soft armchairs that seamed to belong to some French king, exotic small bites, pictures framed with frames that could cost more then someone's house fronts. One entirely different and new world. And even more, a secret world underneath that luxurious valance. The world of one group. The group of the chosen ones. So, that first night, when all of us came looking our best and whispering nastiness against each other, professor selected one of us as worthy of his special group. The prettiest of all. The young mother from our small town. She was the only one who stayed on the afterparty. Her husband took their son to sleep, proud for his wife was the chosen one. The first one. The special one.

From the safety of our bedrooms, we all waited to see when and how will she get out. She walked a bit unsecure, but we all thought happy. Zestful, although a bit slow. She didn't say anything about the group, but the blush on her cheeks, that she wore for days, said enough. She was transformed.

After her success, after that vivid transformation to a better person, we all did absolutely everything to earn our place in that group. Everyone everything. Everything. Professor still wore the most magical smile on the planet. The smile that hypnotizes. Everyone.

It lasted for few years. The same fight with rewarded winners. Few years of eternal war against one another. Against husbands, wives, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors. Everyone for the professor. To be a part of his special group. To be at least for a minute a chosen one. The one who is no longer a small town person, the one who transcends our small town, the one who is born again, the one who lives the secret desires and all unconfessed sins.

And when the best of our small town was consumed, professor took another job in another small town and we all were left to float between blushes and paleness. Spontaneously we all gathered one night in the only post office. We were all sending letters to him. Those writings connected us. We began to see one another. More vividly then ever. Sharp, clear view. We started talking to one another. We opened up. We shared. The new group was formed. The real group where we blushed even more. Some of us cried, some laughed, some were ashamed, some proud, some ware amazed, some regretful. We now had the new group, that was impossible to belong to if one didn't know the professor. And we all knew the professor.