C1

[ i'm not trying to mock any culture, pls don't hate me this is for the sake of the story only ]
[ w a r n i n g :   e r r o r s   a h e a d ]

-

GROWING UP in an environment where family and friends are important and girls in the family are a step lower than boys, I learnt how to like everything that my parents wants for me even though I'm completely against it.

At such a young age of four, I'm already attending lessons that I don't really need and I might need so say, I don't really want. They say this is for my future, but what if this is not the future I wish to have?

Holding up my four stringed instrument and it's bow that serves as my wand for years now, I played the piece that I've been learning for more than a month. Fritz Kreisler's Liebesleid it is about love and sorrow. I swayed to the trance of my own music as bittersweet melody filled the orchestral hall.

This is what my parents wanted me to be. A musician. They wanted me to follow their steps as our family is known as a family of great musicians passed from generation to generation. But somehow I want to break the chain. I don't want this.

I never wanted to be a musician. They say that its because I'm too young and that's the reason why I'm thinking this way, but at the age of 10 I know what I want and what I don't.

I want to be an artist. A painter. Complete opposite of what they wanted me to be. I want to express myself through my paintings and not through my music. But I could never tell them, because I already know what they are going to tell me. You are still young and you are born to be a musician just like us.

Eyes still closed and I finished the piece with a smile on my face and a drop of tear in both of my eyes. I maybe too young to know the real meaning behind this masterpiece, but I was never deaf. It is a sad and sorrowful music.

I heard everyone's applause as I bowed and went down the stage. Bàba is there along with Yéyé, they were waiting for me at the backstage where other contestants are waiting. (Dad, Grandpa father's side.)

It was Māma who forced me to join this school competition. She said this is the first step of showing and letting the world hear my music. Of course I don't want to compete, but who am I to say no? (Mom.)

Yéyé greeted me with a smile written on his face as I enter the backstage. I know that he's proud of me, he never made me feel that I wasn't doing enough, not even for once. And he's actually the main reason why I'm doing this. I don't want to disappoint him.

Bàba handed me a bouquet of my favourite coral coloured peonies and kissed my forehead. "You performed well sweetie, but not good enough." I know. I always know.

"Eyy, Luchen." Yéyé side commented and shook his head on dad. "What do you want to eat? Yéyé will buy it for you."

My face lit up. I'm very thankful that it was Grandpa who accompanied Dad and not Mom. "I want to eat hotpot with Gēgē, Yéyé." (Older bro.)

I know Gēgē is here because I saw him at the crowd when I was performing. He was watching and clapping his hands during my whole performance.

"Oh, Sicheng?" I nodded my head as I carefully put my violin inside its case. "You seemed very close to young Dong these days." He commented and I just smiled. We are good friends.

"We are good friends, Yéyé." I smiled.

"I know and he's a great kid." He tapped my head and I looked at dad. He's just smiling while he's looking at Yéyé and I.