CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Why I had begged Dozie to escort me to mamas parents was beyond my understanding.
Maybe I was hoping his skills would help me reconcile us together.
The sight that welcomed us was a little gay. The area had changed remarkably. Ten years was no joke after all. The litters were still there and so were the poorly constructed buildings but everywhere looked different, the feeling was different.
Grandma and Grandpa were seated on a bench when we arrived with so many children playing in the compound.
My heart raced!
I alighted and ran towards the bench and knelt before them and began to weep. I knew the children stopped playing because I couldn't hear the shouts anymore.
I felt a hand on my back to lift up my head and see grandmas crooked smile with her tear stricken faced.
Grandpa introduced me to the children in the compound. My brothers were all grown up already, the eldest had a shop he was managing in Onitsha and 2 of my brothers were apprentices in Enugu and Kaduna and were currently unavailable. The remaining three were still trying to get engaged in something.
I was so happy to see them,    I gave them my phone number and told them to call me if they needed any aid at all.
   "You must be very happy?" Dozie began. He had been very quiet while at mama's.
I nodded and smiled sadly.
"I'm really sorry for being a bother before. You've been through a lot Dee" he said quietly
"You didn't do anything bad Dozie" I replied simply.
He turned to stare at me and smiled.
"You know we are having a get together this weekend. Would you attend?"
Was he seriously asking me that,
"Of cos I'll love to"

***
"He's so into you Deraa, he can't seem to get his eyes off you" Farida shouted.
The get together was amazing, immediately I had caught sight of her I had pounced on her not minding that she was pregnant and her baby bump was now very visible.
"Shut up" I said blushing easily
Farida wouldn't stop teasing me about Dozie.
"Announcement everyone" Jayden our very own parrot back then in school hollered. He was currently a politician and we all weren't surprised.
"Please raise up your glasses. As we make a toast to our very own about to be couple,"
I raised my eyebrow at Farida and she did the same.
"Nonso the guru and Margaret" he hollered.
The cheers went wild, that was insane.
"That's just so amazing, how on earth is he going to manage her?" I asked laughing and taking a sip of my wine.
"I really dont know but let's go greet the latest couple" she added and winked at me before turning towards Dozie.
Jeez!
After the party, Faridas driver came to pick her up and we promised to keep in contact.
"Ensure I'm the first person you invite for your wedding or I will behead you" she teased.
I turned to see Dozie right behind me. He looked angry.
"Are you seeing someone?" He asked and so I decided to tease him.
"Of course" I drawled looking him right in the eye.
He looked mad and my insides jumped with glee, he was jealous!
He rose a brow at me and suggested to take me home, I consented anyway.