Chapter 1 'The Morning Before'

The Morning Before
Today's my first day back at school after summer break. A flow of memories start coming back to me when I got out of bed and stumbled over my school bag. I remember my mum pulling me out of public school when I came home with a bruised hip and blood along my school shirt. She picked me up from the principal's office and started yelling at Mr Tomilson for not punishing the kids that had beaten me up. It hadn't even been a full month of me being blind before mum decided it would be best for me to take time of from public school, and she should homeschool me so that I didn't risk another possibility of being beaten up.

I walked over to the bathroom and got into the shower. I love the feeling of the shower mist hugging me and the hot water tricking down my body as I stand beneath the shower head. I can smell the citrus aroma coming from the soap and relish in the memory connected to the smell. I get out of the shower and look at myself in the mirror, every day I stare back at my self in the mirror wondering what others see and what it was like to be able to all the beauty in the world. I listen to the chirping of the birds and feel the warm summer breeze through the open window, I smile to myself, thankful that I didn't loose all my senses, then I walk back to my room to get my on my school uniform.

I grabbed my school books from my desk then stuffed them into my bag and grabbed my trusty ray bans. I held onto the hand rail as I went down the stairs, into the kitchen. I could smell the sweet, sugary pancakes that my little sister was baking. I sat down a stool then put my bag on the kitchen island.
"Morning Liz" I said to her cheerfully. Lizzie always wanted to be a chef ever since Peter (mum's boyfriend) got her a cooking book for Christmas.
"Hi Jules. Would you like some breakfast?" Lizzie asked.
"Sorry Lizzie, Megan's picking me up to school" I told her.
"Is mum up yet?" I asked.
"Not yet, Peter came over for dinner last night after you went to bed" Lizzie said.

Lizzie and I like Peter. He's kind and treats mum well, it was really hard on her to look after me -a blind boy and four year old Liz, as well as picking shifts up at the hospital just to make enough money. Peter met mum at the hospital as a doctor and he stays over around three times a week. He was the one that insisted on me going to Hartley Grammar and helped pay for my tuition.

I heard Lizzie put my lunch into my bag then grab my laptop from the charger. She them zipped my bag up and helped me put it on my back.
"Thanks Liz" I said as I kissed her on top of her head.
Honk -Megan was here. "I'll see you after school Lizzie, have fun". Then I moved over to the front door after picking up my phone and head phones and stuffing them into my pocket.
"Hi Megan" I smiled to my best friend as she opened her car door for me.
"Hey Jules, did you do anything fun on the holidays?" she asked.
Megan describes herself as 5.5 feet tall and having fierce green eyes and honey brown hair.
"Not really, I helped my uncle out at the library as a summer job, but nothing really else".
"What!" Megan said suddenly stopping the car. "You got to spend the whole summer with Josh and you say that's boring?!" Megan said loudly.
"Hey Meg keep your eyes on the road, only one of us can see remember!" I yelled at her as I felt the car jolt. Megan's had a crush on Josh ever since she first met him, she tells me it's more then just a silly little school girl crush and that it's because he see her in a different way that no one ever has before. I guess I can't blame her Josh has been my biggest supporter and is always offering to help mum or taste test the Lizzie's endless amount of new recipes.
"Sorry Jules but hey what if I became your aunt? I could become Mrs Williams!" Megan giggled excitedly.
"Yeah right Meg, he's three years older then you" I told her.
"Hey, you never know?" She replied, leaving me baffled. I could tell that she was wearing a big grin on her face and when Megan has her heart set on something she usually gets her way, eventually. We then pulled into Rudy's house (who lived across the road) where he waited outside. Rudy was my oldest friend, I knew him since kindergarten and he was at my party when I had the accident. Rudy is a energetic, half Aboriginal; he's also addicted to AFL, when ever it's on tv he goes mad and you can hear him from across the street. Rudy jumps into the back seat and starts telling us about how he was training for the AFL draft all summer with his brothers. Megan keeps driving us till we get to our local coffee shop 'The Tired Armadillo' where we find Libby standing outside with our coffee. Libby was new to Hartley Grammar and only moved here over the summer break, she came down from Queensland with her mum after her dad left them. She lived in the Gold Coast her whole life and is therefore a really good surfer, she has beautiful golden hair and delicate pale blue eyes. Megan met Libby while she was swimming at the beach and Libby almost crashed into Megan while she was coming down from a wave.

I can smell the strong, rich taste from the coffee as Libby passes Megan and I our drinks. This was what we did everyday for year, where Megan picks me up then we got to Rudy's, then get coffee to school. Now we've met Libby, this seems like it'll be the best senior year ever. We crank up the music and start listening to Queen as we head to school, nothing like the sound of Freddie Mercury telling you to rock this, to get you fired up in the morning.