CHAPTER 2: TALENTS

Zinnia hesitantly made her way to the first patch of flowers, the ones that held the Element crystals. Caretaker Izel had told her that she would know which crystal would belong to her, she would feel it in every fiber of her body.

She took a breath and mentally gathered all the information she had learned from her 10 years of studies after she turned 5 years old.

Zinnia knelt down in front of the Garnet Element crystal flower. It shimmered in bright red colors, and she remembered that its talents consisted of Heat, Fire, and Lava. The fey that connected to this crystal would have those abilities.

She remembered hearing a story about a Garnet crystal fairy who caused accidental forest fires because whenever they sneezed, flame sparks flew out and caught onto bushes that ignited quite easily. Apparently that fairy now wears a flame resistant mask during allergy season to avoid any more accidents.

With two fingers, she touched the tip of one of its crystals. She felt a small connection to this talent, like a nuzzle, but not consumed with every fiber of her body the way Caretaker Izel had explained it, so she moved on.

The Mocca Element crystal flower was next. It was a warm earthy color, and its talents consisted of Earth, Dirt, and Rock. Some faeries that connected to this crystal were also known to cause tremendous earthquakes in the human realm. They were very mischievous and enjoyed bringing "a little excitement to the humans" as they put it.

She felt the same small but not complete connection to this crystal just as the first, so Zinnia continued on.

The Sapphire Element crystal was a glittering rich deep blue color and its talents were mainly anything with water and marine life, but some Sapphire Element fey were able to control other liquids as well. It all depends on "how talented you are with your talent" Caretaker Izel liked to say.

So far none of these crystals seemed to make an impact on Opal but she was determined to find her talent no matter how long it took.

The Silk Element crystal was the last of the Element crystal types and it was clear without any color at all. Its talents was Air, and Wind. Opal remembered hearing of a Silk Element fairy who was able to use the winds to fly. Sadly, it didn't seem like Zinnia would be able to fly since this crystal had no different effect on her.

She walked over to the group of Nature crystal flowers hoping to find her talent there.

The Topaz Nature crystal had a warm amber color, the kind you see in great forests and beautiful wildlife. Its talents were with Animals, and Transformation.

The fey that connected with these crystals could speak to animals, borrow their strength and abilities, and even transform into them for limited periods of time.

Zinnia always thought it was the coolest talent, but it seemed that it wasn't hers to have.

The Peridot Nature crystal had a lush green color, and its talents were Plants, Crops, and Agriculture. The fey that connected with these crystals could grow anything you can imagine.

Opal remembered that one Peridot Nature fairy named Tann, actually grew a pizza bush, no joke. That fairy had mad talent.

She also remembered him getting in big trouble for it with the Queen for "disturbing the natural order" she called it, and sent him to do a month of community service as penance.

It was still pretty funny, but no other Peridot Nature fey tried to grow anything out of the ordinary after that, at least not in public.

Zinnia withdrew her hand in disappointment at finding that this was not her talent, and went for the next flower.