𝟙. 𝔾𝕠𝕟e

ℍ𝕠𝕦𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕟, 𝕋𝕖𝕩𝕒𝕤. 𝕁𝕦𝕟𝕖 𝟞𝕥𝕙. 𝟙:𝟘𝟚𝕒𝕞

~~𝕄𝕚𝕒~~

𝕊𝕥𝕦𝕡𝕚𝕕. Stupid. Stupid Mia. In my whole 18 years of life, I have to admit that I've just lived through my stupidest - stupidest? Is that a word?- moment.

"Ouch!" I exclaim, wincing in pain as strands of my hair get caught on a twig from the branch above me.

The wind then, decides to pick up followed by thunder. How do I get myself in these situations? I wonder, as I stand outside my house in the chilly night air, trying to get to my bedroom through my window. I tighten my jacket around me, wondering why mother never thought to have these trees in our backyard trimmed. Now, they were all over my hair. I just wanted to be in my bedroom already, on my bed, crying my eyes out from the horrible day/night I've just had.

Let's start from the beginning.

Now, I'm not a bad kid or anything. My Friday nights don't always entail going out to party and then sneaking back in the wee hours of the night. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I've never been to any parties or anywhere else merely interesting for that matter. I have zero friends, never had a boyfriend or even a first kiss. I don't drink or smoke, I get straight A's. Pretty lame, to be honest. Like I said, I'm a good kid.

But, all of that changed tonight.

See, today is my birthday. Well, was. It's probably way past midnight now. And, well everybody just....forgot. Yep, my parents, my brothers, even the maids, nothing. Not a single birthday wish, or presents, or anything. I don't know what I was expecting really. My parents are not exactly.....present in my life. They work and travel a lot, and have missed many milestones, but I thought finally getting into adulthood would entice at least a "Happy Birthday Mia". At least.

They've been out of town for the past couple weeks for a medical case and I got excited when I saw them come home two days ago, stupidly thinking they made sure to be here for my birthday. Realization hit me when I went downstairs, looking my Sunday's best this morning, and Mother went:

"Sweetie, you sure look nice this morning, what's the occasion?" She was stirring coffee in her favorite mug, given to her by me for Christmas two years ago. "Sasha, doesn't Mia look just lovely this morning?"

My father merely looked up from the newspaper he was reading, grunting his approval.

I held back tears, muttering something about upgrading my wardrobe this summer, then fled back upstairs to my bedroom.

I then talked myself up and had managed to convince myself that they were just pretending not to remember my birthday because they were planning a surprise or something later on. But the whole day went by uneventfully and when it almost hit 11:00 pm, I had given up hope. My eyes fell on a concert flyer on my nightstand. It was from a local band, "The Muppets" or was that "Smurfetts"? I don't remember, but anyways, the flyer was given to me by the lead singer himself a couple days ago. He worked at the Starbucks shop I regularly went to and had insisted that I come see them play at the local club. He does so every time they have a gig, but I usually never go, crowds not really being my scene. Or people, in general.

Not that I was very insightful on the matter, but I suspected that he might have a small crush on me. He blushes deep red every time I come in and smiles ever so sweetly at me. He manages to find new compliments to give me every single time, and even his coworkers seem to be in on it as they're always whispering within themselves and nudging him when I walk through the door. His name
was Josh.

I did not know what had possessed me, but I had decided to go tonight. Eighteen years of my life wasted, holed up in my room, homeschooled, forbidden to make friends or speak to anybody, being the "good girl" my family wanted me to be and just for them to just forget about me. I wanted to do something bold tonight, something daring. I wanted to see people, to see crowds, to see lights, and maybe to be a normal teenager for once and flirt with the cute barista. I grabbed the flyer and put on my jean jacket over the fitted black dress I had worn for my birthday and I was out the window in a second. And ladies and gentlemen, this is how I lost my virginity on my single first night out.