two. trouble

CANT BUY ME LOVE,
chapter two. trouble

     CINDY ORTEGA THREW YET ANOTHER DRESS OVER HER SHOULDER, which casually landed on top of her friends

     CINDY ORTEGA THREW YET ANOTHER DRESS OVER HER SHOULDER, which casually landed on top of her friends. Phoebe and Blair had been lying on Cindy's bed for over an hour, simply entertaining themselves as Cindy threw dress after dress in their direction. The two had been called over to actually help the girl choose an outfit for their house party but were quickly dismissed after Phoebe pointed out a pair of shoes from a year ago.

       "What about your mother's dress? The white one ... did she lend it to you?" Blair stared at her friend as she hung upside down on her bed, Cindy quickly glancing at her before turning back to her closet.

       "I think her actual response was, 'no, no. hell no. Definitely not, no.'" Phoebe chuckles slightly at Cindy's impersonation of her mother, as she sounded like a very tipsy Blair. Cindy brushed a hand through her hair and a sigh escaped her lips, slumping onto the floor in front of her bed. Her eyes trailed over the various dresses and skirts that were strewn across her floor, sighing in defeat and pulling at the sleeve of her jumper. Blair was too occupied by something on her phone to help her friend and Phoebe had fallen asleep during Cindy's breakdown.

The doorbell rang through the apartment, pulling Cindy from her thoughts and towards the front door. A man in his late forties dressed in a bright floral shirt and a crooked smile resting on his lips. His eyes seemed to travel from Cindy's eyes down her entire body. Though she was completely covered, she felt the need to cover even more so, wrapping her arms around her waist in an attempt.

     "Darling, you're here!" The voice of Cindy's mother rang in her ears, for once becoming her saving grace. Cindy watched as her mother wrapped her arms around the man who's eyes had just raked over her entire body. Cindy shifted her weight from one foot to the other, suddenly feeling extremely uncomfortable in her own skin.

Cindys mother was notorious for bringing home older men who had zero personality nor manners, Blair was sure she was using most for the money. Her father had disappeared when she was young, too young to miss him, but found herself wishing she'd had a permanent father instead of having to open doors for her mother's greasy dates.

"I see you've met my daughter, Cynthia." A bright smile appeared on her mother's lips as it always did when she introduced Cindy, as if the two were the closest of friends.

"You're daughter? I thought she was your younger sister!" Cindy contained her eye roll at the comment, her mother began laughing like a madwoman.

"We're off darling, have fun!" A quick kiss was placed on Cindy's cheek, the man reaching for her mother's hand and dragging her to his used truck. Cindy barely flinched as he left her mother side and hopped into the side of the car, leaving her mother to grab her own door, for she was used to her mother's non chivalrous dates.

Blair was waving her hand in front of Phoebes face when Cindy returned, the girl completely passed out on Cindy's mattress. Blair sighed and reached for her bag, giving her friend a quick hug before reminding her she would see her later at the party.

        It had taken a lot of yelling and a few minutes of pulling and shaking to wake Phoebe and send her home. Cindy had helped her friend to the door but decided to walk her to the subway station after she nearly toppled down the stairs.

Cindy knew exactly what she wanted to wear when she returned home, an outfit having been in her mind from the moment she had begun looking through her closet. It had just so happened to be the one thing she wasn't allowed to wear: her mother's white dress.

It's only for a few hours, Cindy thought to herself, honestly what's the worst that could happen.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

        Cindy's apartment was now crammed with a hundred sweaty body's, all yelling in an attempt to be heard over the loud music blasting throughout the room. The dark-haired girl pushed her way through her own living room, searching for her two friends.

       The two girls were leaning against her kitchen counter, Phoebe yelling at some blonde-haired boy who had tried to spike the bowl of punch. Blair smiled at the sight of her friend and held a plastic cup in her direction, Cindy taking a quick sip of it and nodding in appreciation.

        "I thought your mum said you couldn't wear her dress?" Cindy shrugged and reached for her drink once more, a sad attempt to hide her lie, "She changed her mind, I guess."

        A smile suddenly appeared on Phoebe's features, her arms reaching out towards a red-haired boy. A cardboard box was clutched in his grip, and he handed it to Phoebe, who passed him a few dollars in exchange. The girl turned, a bright smile still on her lips as she explained, "I ordered a Philly cheese steak from that pizza place around the corner."

        Cindy laughed and reached for a part of the sandwich that her friend had held out for her. Blair had disappeared to somewhere unknown to her friends but that was typical behavior for the girl.

        A group of rowdy boys sped through the kitchen, holding the arms of a boy who had skates around his feet. Cindy rolled her eyes and attempted to grab their attention but instead was pushed backwards as their grip dropped and the boy on skates fell backwards, the drink in his hands spilling across Cindy's dress. A look of horror washed over her features and the boys scrambled to their feet, the one with skates beginning to apologize profusely.

The girl excused their apologies and rushed for the bathroom, not having to push any couple from the tub, which had happened a time or two. Cindy peeled off the dress and laid it across the counter, only causing the color to spread and the stain to worsen. A lump formed in her throat, and she began to scrub the fabric harder, hoping that would save the material but to no avail.

       This would definitely be the last time she wore her mother's dress.