The Start

It was January 22nd, 2004. George Stacy sat in the Brooklyn General Hospital waiting room, tapping his foot anxiously on the ground. He had just finished an 8-hour shift, only to return home and find out that his wife had gone into labor while he was gone. By that time, it was 6:00 P.M, so George was beyond tired after such a long day at work. Yet there he was, waiting with the pent up energy of a little kid about to be let out of school, brow creased with worry. In the waiting room with him was his soon-to-be daughter's godfather, Peter Parker. His best friend, Jefferson Davis, was also there with his wife and brother. No one from George's family was there. He was all that was left.

Well, that wasn't completely true. He was about to hold his daughter for the first time.  

It was probably around 11:30 P.M. when the doctor finally burst through the double doors which led to the waiting room. George instantly shot up, hoping for the best. Every time those double doors opened, he would spring up, ready for any news on his daughter and wife. This time, the doctor was looking for him. 

"The birth was successful. Your daughter came through healthy, though she's a bit small. Congratulations." All of the people in the room immediately burst into applause, George's family and friends swarming him as his face broke into a huge smile. The doctor continued, however, "But, I'm sorry to inform you, Mr.Stacy. The birth was extremely difficult, and your wife passed away soon after. We did everything we could to save her." 

In an instant, everything went quiet. The doctor rubbed his neck. "I'm very sorry Mr.Stacy. If you have any further need for me, ask a nurse to ping me." Jefferson, who had been about to clap him on the back, withdrew his hand and instead drew him into an embrace.

"Man, I'm so sorry. You don't deserve for this to happen to you." Geroge nodded blankly, seemingly as if he didn't hear Jefferson. "George...you good? George!" Still no reply. His other friends and family tried to rouse him from his stupor, with little success. 

All of a sudden, his head was jerked sideways by a small but firm hand pulling his chin. George was brought face to face with the blazing eyes of Rio Morales. "George, I know this may be hard for you, but your daughter needs you right now." Her eyes softened slightly and her voice dropped down to a whisper. "If something were to happen to me during..." She gestured towards her stomach before continuing, "I'd want Jefferson to be strong for me. For our son. Be strong for your daughter, George."  

He looked up, seeing the truth in her words. There would be time to grieve later. It was time to go meet his daughter now. George had the nurse page the doctor, who he followed into the operating room. He made sure to turn his head so that no one could see his tears. He needed to be strong for his wife right now. For his daughter.

                                *                                    *                                *                             *                               *

3 months later, it was Jefferson's turn to rush to the hospital. Rio went into labor late at night, so he was able to ferry her to the hospital in his patrol car. Being a cop did have its perks. After reaching the hospital in record time, carrying Rio into the emergency room where a doctor took her away, he was left in the waiting room. 

The scene was similar to the one three months ago, this time with George at his side though. As Jefferson sat there, hands gripped tightly against his chair's armrests, he couldn't help but imagine the possibilities of what could go wrong. What if the baby was stillborn? What if there was some kind of complication? Jefferson was a man of action, accustomed to being in the position to help those in need. In this situation, he was the helpless one. Seconds felt like minutes, minutes felt like hours, hours like days. The whitewashed walls seem to close in on him, crushing the air out of him.