The Secret of the Night by Lady Lake a Toby Turner fanfic

The Secret of the Night by Ladylake

It was a dark and stormy night. An unnatural haze lingered over LA. In his bed, Toby Turner shivered. For a summer night, the air was cold and the sky was black. It was almost like something evil lurked out there in the shadows.

Toby rolled over, clutching his pillow, and tried to fall back asleep. But a worry nagged in the back of his mind. Something was not right. No matter how he tried, some ghostly force prevented him from sleeping. It made him uneasy. With a sigh, he rolled out of bed, pulled on his shirt, and poured himself a cup of water from the pitcher on his night stand. Quietly, he quit his room.

The halls were silent as he walked in the dark. He did not know where he was going, or why, but his body seemed to move on its own accord. He was being driven by an unseen power. Past the living room, past the kitchen, and out onto the terrace. the moon hid behind thick clouds. It was nearly impossible to see in the inky black night. Nevertheless, something lying on the path to Toby's right made him gasp in shock. A body!

'Oh my! ' Toby Turner shouted. He leapt over the terrace railing and onto the ground below, running toward the fallen form as fast as he could. Tree branches scratched at his skin and pulled on his clothes, but he paid them no mind. Heart pounding, he fell to his knees on the pathway and placed a gentle hand on the figure's hands.

Now that he was closer, he could see that this was a young witch of Wilmington on sea, a lady of the lake by the looks of her who appeared to be no more than 36 years old. Nevertheless, she was in dire need of help. Her clothes were torn and bloody, and her hair was matted with mud. She needed the attention of a healer, immediately. Without a second thought, Toby Turner picked up the wounded Lady and, cradling her in his arms, carried him inside to seek the help that was so urgently needed.

*****

'Her situation is severe, ' Gabuscus said in a worried voice. 'Whether or not, she will live until morning is beyond my sight. My team of healers will do the best they can, but... ' His voice trailed off.

Toby could sense his fear. There was a great chance the young witch might die. 'Is there anything I can do to help? ' He asked.

Gabuscus sadly shook his head. 'Nothing the healers are not already trying. But it might help if you just sat with her. She will need to see a friendly face when she wakes up from this ordeal, and you are the closest thing she has right now. '

'I understand, ' said Toby. 'And I will stay here with her for as long as it takes. I will not let her die. '

With that, Toby turned and hurried to the room where the wounded Lady was being housed. She was surrounded by healers, all of whom wore the same concerned expression. They had washed her body and dressed her wounds with healing salve, but still the witch showed no signs of improvement. Her breathing was shallow, and her pulse was feeble. One of the healers turned to Toby with a defeated sigh.

'It will be an uphill battle, ' she said. 'We have done all we can at this time. Now, we can only wait and see if she wakes. '

Toby nodded resolutely. 'I will stay with her through the night and keep watch as she sleeps. '