Silent As A Shadow

Location: Afghanistan

Area: Classified

Operation: Phantom

Team: Spectre

Time: 2130

Temperature: -10F

---------------------------------------------

Spectre Four exhaled as he attached his thermal night observation device to his scope on his M14 rifle. Another cold night, another mission. None of his guys were special, no Ranger, Special Forces, Airborne, etc. They were just three Infantrymen and a medic. He looked around at his covered position and saw Spectre One on top of the ridge line, looking down at him. Four gave a thumbs up and attached his suppressor to his rifle and looked back down his scope at the enemy compound. He saw Spectre Two and Three, the medic and support by fire, respectively.

Four adjusted his angle and slowly swept along the perimeter of the compound as steam from his breath passed through the holes in his face mask. All of Spectre Team had them, all were identical, yet different. One had a mask that resembled a lower jaw that had been blown off, Two's was that of bandages around the mouth and neck. Three's was a simple skull with bits of muscle and blood. Four's however, was different. His was a lower face and neck cover that resembled a robotic skeleton of neck and lower skull that wrapped around his head and under his helmet.

Four held up two fingers for One and pointed them at the compound. he moved his hand back to his rifle, zoomed in on the stand alone guard and fired. The round left his weapon without a sound and made direct contact with the head of the enemy.

"Smoked." he said after his target dropped.