Chapter 2

The sea is always varying degrees of cold. The temperature depends on the depth and the current. Sometimes when the current is faster than usual, it feels very very cold, almost like ice water. For humans, it could turn their lips blue. Merpeople don't exactly have this difficulty, but they do live close to the surface for a reason. The black depths chill the blood... even the thought of that makes Virgil shiver.

The current blows swiftly. Right now, Virgil's trying his best to focus on how much it's carrying his plain tail and carding through his hair. Blowing softly to the right... blowing harder... softer. He squeezes his eyes shut for a moment, his gills fluttering as he tries to take calming breaths. Those will get him through this. And maybe Roman's matured. Maybe he isn't as bad at handling his friends anymore.

Virgil should've learned by now that holding onto hope is dangerous sometimes.

No no no- Virgil's wrist hurts. He has to hold back his scared little whimper. Roman knows how sensitive he is, mentally and physically... right? Ow- Virgil closes his eyes for a second. Soft current. Deep breaths. This is so uncomfortable. Virgil doesn't think he can even make it to wherever Roman's taking him before he panics. The signs are there. Virgil can feel his body quivering and his gills fluttering.

He shouldn't've come out of his home. All of this happened because he needed some stupid food. He could have eaten his algae bed. That would have been just fine. Then he wouldn't have to follow Roman without any clue to where they're going.

 Then he wouldn't have to follow Roman without any clue to where they're going

Okay. Virgil's just got to speak up. That's not that difficult. He's done it before... not a lot... really only a few times... but it's not that hard. Just open his mouth. Gosh, it feels like there's seaweed in his mouth and he can't spit it out. This doesn't feel good. Just say it; this doesn't feel good. He doesn't want to be here, nonononono-

Virgil struggles to take a few deep breaths. How long has it been since he tried to open his mouth and speak? It feels like he's been taking a good hour or so trying to make his vocal cords work.

It's now or never. Virgil's gotta do it before Roman speaks up and cuts off his chance. Here goes nothing.

 Here goes nothing