Chapter One

The rain hit the sidewalk, water splashing almost viciously as cars raced down the busy streets of the city. The girl looked up at the dark sky as the rain poured down her face, her long, brown hair quickly becoming soaked. The usual warmth of the lights was dulled by an empty feeling, almost as if there was darkness brewing nearby. It was the same feeling she had that dreadful night.

The night she was nearly murdered.

She remembered waking up in a large house, blood staining the walls, floors — practically every surface was covered in the crimson liquid. Except she was completely dry, not a single drop of blood had touched her. She wondered why, but quickly her thoughts turned to fear as she noticed the man that was leaning over her.

He had beautiful strawberry blonde hair, his skin soft looking and he himself seemed as innocent as one could be. His eyes were a beautiful blue, and she found herself lost in them as he spoke to her.

Michael is drawn to her location and finds her parents being murdered and they beg him to save her. The murderers are chanting in some foreign way and He kills them before they could kill the girl. She is unconscious on the ground, and Michael leans down and puts his hand on her head. She wakes then, completely dazed.

"Who... who are you?" She asked weakly, her strength nearly waning as she felt something invisible pulling her back into the darkness.

"A friend." The man replied, his blue eyes almost innocent looking, in comparison to the bloodbath around him and covering him. "Do you know what happened?"

"I don't... I..." She shook her head, taking a deep breath. "Why is there so much blood?"

The man didn't reply, instead standing and holding his hand out to the girl. "That you needn't worry about."

She was quiet for a moment, studying his facial features before slipping her hand into his. With this simple touch it was like a spark emitted between them, making them both stumble slightly.

"What is your name?" He asked once she was standing, noticing her looking at the surroundings as if she had never seen the building before.

"Tasha..." She said quietly, her eyes glancing around the room until they stayed on the dead bodies. "Who were they?"

"They tried to kill you." He explained. "You don't remember?"

"No." She shook her head as she stepped past the man and into the other room. On the ground she saw an older man and woman, holding hands on the ground, motionless. She felt her heart ache, but as hard as she tried she couldn't figure out why.

"Do you know them?"

He shook his head, standing next to the girl as she knelt down to the bodies. "No... do you?"

She shook her head in response, "No. Should I?"

"I'm not sure. You don't recognize this place?"

"I don't remember anything before you woke me up." She stood, turning towards the man. "Who are you?"

"Michael. Michael Langdon."

Tasha smiled slightly at him, "Thank you for saving me."

Michael found himself smiling at the girl, before his expression turned serious once more. "I can keep you safe. Whoever tried to kill you will no doubt try again, and clearly you're suffering from some sort of memory loss."

"Why would you help me? I don't know you."

"It's the right thing to do." Michael replied. "Besides, I doubt you'd rather stay here."

A laugh escaped her lips as she followed him out of the house. "I can't disagree with that."

•••