4

Following the altercation at the drive-in, Sebastien's reputation with the Abrams girls had been gradually improving. Having been dating for nearly two months, Mary felt as though it was time for Sebastien to meet her dad. Mary talked to both of them and convinced them to meet over dinner at Mary's house. Nerves knotted in Mary's stomach while she was getting ready. She had seen the abrasive side of Sebastien's temper and was concerned that it would clash with her dad's somewhat overprotective nature. After her dad had become widowed, he had become far more strict on Mary and Betty, presumably out of fear of losing them too. Although she would never speak ill of him to his face, her dad was something of a basket case when it came to his daughters. Because of this, it was clear to Mary that the dinner would be tense, to say the least. Betty realised this too and as such, chose not to attend.

At the sound of the doorbell, Mary descended the stairs in a pale violet dress. Sebastien was dressed in a simple, yet smart outfit and wore his curled dark hair out of his face. Mary greeted him with a quick kiss and led him into the dining room.

"Dad, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend, Sebastien Le Fleur. Sebastien, this is my dad, Wayne." The shook hands with a firm but quick grip.

"It's good to finally meet you, son. Mary talks quite highly of you."

"Likewise. Only the good stuff, I hope?" Sebastien chuckled.

"Mostly."

"That's reassuring," he muttered under his breath.

"I'm sorry?" Wayne asked.

"It's a great house you've got here," Sebastien said quickly, ignoring Wayne's question.

"... Thanks," Wayne nodded with a cautious glance.

Wayne and Sebastien each took a seat at the table while Mary served up the food she'd prepared. As she'd feared, an uncomfortable silence settled over them as they started the meal. The tension was palpable.

"So, Sebastien, What do you do for a living?" Wayne asked.

"I tend to work... odd jobs wherever I can. I'm not usually in the same place for very long."

"Do you mean workplace or residence?"

"Both."

"So you have neither a stable income nor home." It was a statement, not a question. "Remind me, how old are you again?"

"Dad!" Mary interjected. The conversation was turning south quick and Mary could do nothing to stop it.

"I'm sorry, but why is my age relevant?"

"I want to make sure that my daughter isn't dating some slob of a man-child with no ambition."

Sebastien's hands visibly tightened on his silverware. "'No ambition'? if I had no ambition, I'd settle for any woman on the street. I wouldn't be dating someone as flawless as Mary."

Wayne went to retaliate, but realised that Sebastien's last line had actually been a compliment. He shut his mouth, backed into a corner.

"And as I said," Sebastien continued, "I work jobs. I have money. If that isn't good enough for you," he shrugged, "well, too bad."

Wayne rose from his seat with a start. "That isn't good enough for me! That isn't good enough for her!" He gestured to Mary.

"Dad, sit down."

Sebastien rose to his feet as well. "Well, it's a damn good thing I'm not dating you then, isn't it? I live my life the way I want to, and I'm sure as hell not changing that to appease you. I know Mary and I have a connection – if you can't see that, tough luck! That won't change a thing."