Checking In

The rest of the night went by fast. I couldn't get his smile out of my head even as I sat down to grade the students' papers. His smile was bright and radiant. The way his eyes closed as he laughed how his hand came up and blocked his mouth ever so slightly. How he laughed so hard tears came to the corners of his eyes. How red his cheeks got when he realized I was taking in the details of his face.

I ended up finishing the grading it took longer than usual since I was daydreaming a lot more. I heard my phone go off and saw it was a text from Eren.

"Can't wait for our date tomorrow night," he had texted.

I let a smile slip onto my face knowing that he was thinking of me just as I was thinking of him. "Me either," I texted back before hearing my phone buzz again.

"Heyyyy! You me movie night tomorrow?" Hanji had texted me. Damn that's right her girlfriend is out of town and she's going to be bugging me a lot more. How do I tell her I already have plans, but not tell her it's a date?

I started typing, "I'm not feeling good and-," I deleted that before I could send it. First off on Monday she would see there's nothing wrong with me. Secondly knowing Hanji that would make her show up at my apartment immediately. Let's see come on think Levi you're usually good at excuses.

I started again, "I have grading I still have to-," nope that won't work. She knows Barely any of my students do there homework since I'm always complaining about it. Hhmm.

Third time's the charm "I can't, I have a bunch of errands I need to run and I've put them off for too long. Maybe Monday night after work?" There that should do it. Especially since it's not a lie I really do have a lot of errands I need to run I was just planning on doing some tomorrow and putting the rest off again. I clicked send and she messaged back immediately.

"Awe, okay well Monday works I'll hold you to that." Good, no questions asked no fuss and Hanji still has no idea. I went to bed early hoping to wake up and get more errands done earlier. The more I got done tomorrow the less suspicious Hanji will be.

Mikasa and I spent the rest of the night watching comedy shows. We both needed a calm night filled with laughter. We popped some popcorn, turned off the lights, grabbed some blankets, and snuggled up. The movies were great and I'm just glad Mikasa was actually laughing again.

I texted Levi in between movies. He texted back almost instantly and my heart skipped a beat. Oh no, I'm in too deep already. Man I really have fallen for him, haven't I?

I kept thinking about dinner tomorrow. I was the one who asked him on the date this time. I had the perfect restaurant in mind. I had to get this date right I wanted this date to lead to more dates. I had to drop the awkwardness and start actually being cool. Wait, how was I planning on doing that? I'm still trying to work out all the kinks in this plan this was a big one.

When the second movie ended Mikasa sighed and asked me to wait while she grabbed something. She came back in with her backpack and told me she was going to work while we watched the next movie.

She probably has a lot she has to catch up on. If I was good at school work I might even help her by doing some of her homework for her, but I was a C and B student in high school she's a straight A student. I doubt she would want me anywhere near her assignments. I just told her if she needed help I would help her google the answer. I swear she laughed harder at that than any of the movies. Like damn okay, I get it.

After she finished some of her homework and we watched as many movies as we could before our eyes started to close we decided to head to bed. She stayed in my room with me tonight since her room is an absolute mess from the packing and moving.

The next morning came so quick. Especially since I woke up so early. Like why brain 6 am is not a time I would like to be awake. I couldn't even go back to sleep. Man was I going to need a nap before my date tonight. I just slid out of bed and started on breakfast. Mikasa was usually an early riser so I knew soon enough she would be coming out of my room to join me for breakfast.

She came out of the room like 10 minutes after I finished cooking. Then again it did take me a while to cook since I haven't used my cooking skills since I lived with dad. I used to cook for Mikasa all the time, but when I moved out I got lazy. Time to get used to cooking again I guess.

"Something smells good," she said before coming over to the table. There were fewer bags under her eyes and she didn't seem to have tossed and turned as much as previous nights.

"You sure it's not burnt? I'm a little rusty," I laughed looking at the eggs that looked a little overcooked.

"You forget I actually like my food burnt," she laughed scooping some eggs on her plate.

"Oh yeah, you're the weird one when it comes to food." I can't believe I forgot that. I mean any time I would be a little lazy and just barbecue, her hot dogs looked like charcoal. Even her toast was so burnt that it wasn't toast anymore.

"Say what you want it's delicious," she scooted out the chair and ate her breakfast. "So, you're up early," she looked at me like something was wrong.

"What? I can't wake up early?"

"Well, I'm just worried. How are you doing with everything? You keep asking me how I'm doing but you won't let me ask you how you're doing?"

"I'm fine."

"Bullshit!"

"Language."

"Language? You curse worse than I do?" she rolled her eyes.

"I'm trying to be a good role model here."

"Well I'm trying to help you, but you won't let me in." I know she meant well, but I can't have her worrying about me not when she's still trying to grieve.

"We all grieve differently, I just need time I don't need to talk about it."

"Really? Because last night you were crying in your sleep calling out for dad. That doesn't seem fine to me." She folded her arms like mom used to do when she knew I was lying to her.

"Look I'm not gonna lie, it hurts it really does but I can do this alone."

"I bet you can, but you don't have too." The room fell silent and what she had said hit me. God, I hate when she's right. I was doing the very thing I was trying to stop her from doing.

She got up and wrapped her arms around me. I didn't even realize I had started crying. Well, today was off to a good start. After a long talk at breakfast, Mikasa asked if I wanted her to stay here tonight. As much as I wanted to say yes I had a date tonight.

"I'll be okay tonight, I'm going out with this guy," I shrugged.

"Okay, tomorrow night I'll spend the night is that okay? We can talk more about everything then?" I had work Monday morning which was perfect since I could take her to school on my way to work.

"Yeah, I'd like that," I gave her a smile.

"Well I was going to head over to dad's right away, but how about I help you get ready for your date?"

"Yes please," I had no sense of fashion and my hair was always messy I needed her help to really clean up for this date, especially since I was trying to be cool rather than awkward.

"Alright let's start with what you will wear," we headed into my room to look through my closet for an outfit that would work for the date I had planned.