flying

quidditch tryouts.
ginny slipped into fred's old jersey, and hoped it would give her confidence. she felt unusually nervous, but could not express it to anyone except herself.
she pulled on her quidditch boots -- her favorite footwear even when she wasn't playing.
as she took her broom out from under her bed, the familiar scent of broom polish and wood filled her nose and relaxed her immediately. her broom had been a birthday gift from fred and george -- they had said she wasn't going to get another gift for 3 years because of it.
she sighed, knowing that she could never have another birthday gift from fred again.
swinging her broomstick over her shoulder, she trudged out of her dormitory and to the quidditch pitch. she was early, and only a few other gryffindors were there, sitting in the stands. she was itching to fly, itching to feel the wind rush through her hair, itching to do the one thing that made her happy.
she mounted.
zooming through the air, a grin appeared on her face as fast as her hair was flying behind her. clutching tightly to the handle, she spun her broom in circles until she was dizzy with happiness, then raced around the pitch.
she closed her eyes, embracing the moment. she knew the pitch so well she would not crash, instead she knew exactly when to turn. she did so with ease, calmly slowing down her broom so she stopped in mid air.
she hung upside-down by her legs, laughing. she felt at peace in a position that most people would be completely terrified. many of the people in the stands watched her in awe, wondering how she did what she did. her eyes were shut in laughter until someone tugged on her hair.
"still amazing as ever, eh, gin’?" harry, who the captain this year, said, smiling.
she grinned, and nodded.
"looks like i've already got one chaser." he said, and proceeded to round up the rest of the gryffindors trying out.
tryouts went by quickly, and the team had been made. ginny was a chaser, along with two other girls she had seen at last year's tryouts. the team was strong, and ginny hoped they could win the cup.
she was happy, at least for a bit.