Guts

(S1Ep2)

I run to the store as fast as I can. I need to get eyes on the street now and I can't get a good look from the ground, I need higher ground. I storm inside, not even checking for walkers. Might as well get myself killed being this reckless, ya know what they say 'curiosity killed the cat'.

My legs burn with each step as I climb to the roof. Finally, I'm here. I walk to the edge in search of something, someone. There's nothing on the side of the street where I was, like I suspected. I go to the other side. Holy Hell! The walkers are surrounding an abandoned tank, canned dinner as it seems. I pity whomever is stuck in there. They're probably going to die of starvation or, if dumb enough, get eaten trying to run.

"Wait a minute... OH SHIT!" Whoever was inside popped out and started shooting at the dead making his way through. I can't see much from up here and the height is making me dizzy but I keep on watching. He runs through the streets, corpses falling to the ground after being hit with the final blow.
Suddenly the person seems to bump into another one. Oh, so there's two now. They run into an alley and I loose sight of them. I hear more gunshots and then it's all back to silence except for the annoying sounds from the dead.
-

I start pacing, trying to figure out what to do next.  I haven't encounter people in at least a month not since.. Anyway should I go after them and wing my luck, hoping they won't kill me on the spot or follow from afar until I know it's safe? Perhaps I should just ignore this ever happened and do what I came here for. Damn it.

I make my way down to the main floor of the store. It seems pretty much untouched by what happened in the city when you compare it to how the streets are. Good for me, it means bigger opportunities at finding some good shit.

I empty my bag on the floor. Time to do some inventory. The few knives I've got are definitely staying, some clothes I could get rid off, I don't really need too many, and I'm running low on food. Guess I've got work to do.

I'm folding the clothes I need when I hear gunshots once again. "Son of a-" I run back to the roof, legs burning from the excessive exercise. Once there I see the siluet of a man with some big gun, rifle or something, he's shooting at the bunch of corpses on the street. More people appear out of the blue, at least five more. There seems to be a lot of commotion between these folks. Because of the distance I can't hear shit but it's definitely a hell hole cause two of the men -the one shooting included- get into a fight.

Deciding I've seen enough I walk back down. This people seem like trouble, although the other folks could be just worried about the wind carrying the sound of the gunshots. If that were the case then I'll give them the right, thanks to the idiot shooting, the doors of the building they were at are now surrounded by the dead. Still, it seems like an unbalanced group. I'm better off on my own.

I finish packing. I got a new bag, bigger, 'cause the one I had was totally wasted. I ended up with knives that are actually meant to be for this messed up world instead of kitchen ones, I even found a gun but it's probably going to end up unused. I got my hoodie and two long sleeved shirts - winter was far away anyhow-- a sport bra, which I was now using, and some underwear, and like 3 tank tops. I got combat boots 'cause in pure honesty these are the only shoes I could possibly need and I like them, some socks and another pair of pants just in case and shorts. I also got some water bottles, crackers, cookies and other food that takes a while for it to go bad.

I strap my bag into my back ready to head out. Before I go I take another round around the store just to be sure I didn't left any rock unturned. I found some rope for some weird reason so I take it for precaution, got myself a walkie-talkie too, it could come in handy - if I get it to work that is. Now I had to look for some batteries. That was easy, I saw some on the back. I grab some lighters and shit that I know will catch fire easily when I need to make a fire.