Lance x Reader- Epiphany

(A/N: Sorry for not updating, school has been hell. I seriously haven't had any free time lately. Guess that's what happens when you're all the way in fucking Asia and school systems try to murder you.

@juvi_nana I hope you like this! Sorry this took so long.

This is a Soulmate AU where you'll look at your soulmate and it just hits you, who they are, like an epiphany. But if you don't talk to them right then and there it's rumored you won't see them again. What a crappy AU I've made.)

A vague sensation of someone's shoulder brushing against yours ever so slightly-- just a feather light touch-- made your brain feel like it was being hit by an epiphany that weighed a truck. One second you were facing forward, the next you were looking back at a boy who was looking back at you as well, with an expression you'd never seen before.

Lance McClain.

17 years old.

Cuban.

The boy's identity and key memories flooded your head. His smile, his laugh, the way his ocean blue eyes twinkled whenever he had an idea-- you fell in love with him within two seconds.

He was your soulmate.

"Lance? Hellooooo?" His friend called. "Come on, we promised Hunk we'd be there on time."

"Oh, yeah," you heard him say as he tore his eyes away from you, his voice smooth as honey."Sorry, Pidge." Then he walked off with "Pidge".

This soulmate relationship is cursed.

You remembered, clear as day, those few seconds from one year ago. You rested your head on your table, groaning. "Why can't I have a normal soulmate?" You slurred, ability to speak hindered by the fact that your chin was on the table. "Why does there have to be a stupid rumor holding me back from being with him?" You let out a groan of frustration once more and slammed your head onto the table, causing your companion, Shiro, who had been ignoring you earlier, to startle.

"Jesus, Y/N, calm down." He said, rubbing the bridge of his nose.

You let out a "tch". "Easy for you to say."

Every single day of your life, you thought about Lance. Of course you did, he was your soulmate. You would never forget those blue eyes you longed to get lost in all day long. But according to some stupid rule, it was "cursed" if you didn't talk to your soulmate when you saw them for the first time and would never see them again. What kind of stupid rule was that?!

"Shiro, is that really a rule...?" You asked, wanting to find some comfort.

"Hmm?"

"That you won't see them again if you don't talk to them then and there."

"Well... probably not, since we just haven't heard of anyone who's seen them again after the first time not approaching them."

Those words reverberated throughout the walls of your mind the whole night as you lay down to get some sleep.

Probably not.

That had a hopeful ring to it. Compared to the fact that a lot of people believed that you wouldn't see him again, and outright telling you so after you told them your story.

"This is Y/N. Oh, and, uh... we should probably avoid the topic of soulmates around them. They've lost theirs, you see." Some people would introduce you to their friends like that. They tried to say the later part softly so you wouldn't hear them, but you knew.

You rolled over onto your side, curling up into a fetal position.

Lance, please...come back.

~~~

The next day, you woke up thinking about Lance. It wasn't usually this bad, but you'd been thinking about him more these few days. You attempted to rub the sleep out of your eyes, but upon failing, you gave up and trudged to the bathroom. You brushed your teeth and took a shower, then proceeded to put on a pair of sweat pants and a comfortable hoodie.

Opening the door of the fridge, you looked for something to eat.

"What the—I thought I just bought food three days ago...," You mumbled to yourself, voice a little raspy from just waking up. Then you thought back to the previous day. "Shiro, I'm gonna kill you next time."

Grumbling to yourself, you slipped your shoes on, not bothering to wear them properly, and headed out, wallet in hand. All you had in mind as you walked, not giving a single fuck about the stares of others who wondered why you were out in pajamas, was the store nearby. Frozen pizza for breakfast sounded great.

Suddenly, you walked into someone, the impact immediately making you alert, no coffee needed.

"Oh! I'm sorry--"

But that voice.

You knew that voice.

Your head snapped up and you found yourself gazing into the ocean.

No, not the ocean. Ocean blue eyes.

"...Lance?" You croaked weakly. The man looked back at you with an equally surprised expression. "Y/N?" Though your hair was a bird's nest and your clothes were ruffled, he looked at you as though he'd never seen something as ethereal as you.

Hours seemed to pass as you both gazed at each other.

"Pizza?" He finally asked, breaking the silence. You cracked a smile. "Yeah."

You both walked to the store to buy frozen pizza together, and in that moment, you knew everything was going to be fine.

(A/N: this piece of shit is unedited again smh)