2. As It Began

Brian doesn't know how long they've been driving when he wakes up. As he opens the door leading to the bunks and proceeds to the lounge, he can hear Roger huffing: "I can't believe you're cheating again, Fred!"

"Look who's talking! Not only do you keep making up new rules for your own benefit, but also hide cards–"

"That was one time!" Roger exclaims.

Oh. So they're playing card games. Or most likely the card game. The game Roger, Freddie and John came up with a few years ago; the game that never ends well.

Despite lots of persuasion from his bandmates, Brian has never played it. He doesn't know the rules, but he has discovered that they involve shouting and tears. Sometimes even thrown objects and bloody noses – he can only hope they don't go that far this time.

"Both of you, shut up," John mutters, but the words seem to have no effect on Roger and Freddie, whose altercation doesn't subside. Not one bit.

On closer inspection, Brian notices that there is a fourth participant in the game this time; a young roadie (Brian suspects he can't be over twenty-five years old) who looks absolutely terrified. Brian feels sorry for the man. He wonders if the trio (or rather Roger and Freddie, since John's behaviour isn't particularly odd) will scare him enough to make him quit his job. Perhaps he should warn George about them possibly having to hire a new roadie soon.

Brian sits next to Roger on the couch. "Good morning," he says. He gets no reply. He huffs, rolling his eyes and leaning back against the armrest. He observes the others absent-mindedly, witnessing Roger kicking Freddie under the table several times for apparently attempting to cheat. This earns the drummer a slap on his arm each time.

After a moment John stands up and exits the lounge without so much as a word.

"Did he just..." Freddie's voice trails off. He has a look of sheer terror on his face.

"He won," Roger says, his expression matching Freddie's. Burying his face in Brian's shoulder, he groans: "I don't believe this! Why does he always win?"

Brian chuckles. "I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that he actually concentrates on the game instead of picking fights with his opponents."

"You're rude," Roger mumbles into Brian's neck. "I always concentrate. When have I not concentrated on something?"

"You and concentration don't even belong in the same universe," Brian says, amused by how easily he can annoy Roger.

"That's so not true!" Roger snaps. "Freddie, tell him he's talking nonsense."

"I would, dear, but I'm not a liar." Freddie narrows his eyes, as though he's thinking intently. "Although, usually his comments aren't too bright, thatyou're right about."

Roger is evidently happier now that Freddie has insulted Brian too.

***

It's been three hours since their show in Coventry ended. Freddie, John and Roger are in a bar near the venue they performed at. Brian is sitting alone in the tour bus. He didn't give in and accompany his friends, not even when Roger promised him he wouldn't leave him alone disappear with yet another woman. Roger has said that before – many times. And not even once has he meant it.

Besides, there is no need to drink every night. Or to sleep with a different person in every city they visit. At least John doesn't do that. He usually stays by Freddie's side at parties and other situations until the singer ditches him for a hookup. Brian feels sorry for him. He always goes along with whatever Freddie or Roger comes up with. Actually, mainly with whatever Freddie comes up with.