Worlds Collide!

Addy Brock stood at the dimly lit intersection, eyes scanning the somber scene before her. The glow of the corner store sign cut through the surrounding darkness, casting a faint illumination on the worn pavement. A poignant sight unfolded at her feet, where a gathering of candles flickered, their collective flames a solemn tribute to a life extinguished too soon. Beside the makeshift memorial stood three Arizona Iced tea. A symbol of both camaraderie and despair. Another friend, another pillar of the resilient Brownsville community, had fallen victim to the relentless shadows that loomed over these streets. Each loss carried a heavy weight, the loss of another beacon of hope snuffed out by the unforgiving darkness that threatened to envelop this neighborhood. 

Addy crouches, the shift of weight crunching the snow underneath her timbs. 

"Sorry, I'm late, Miles." She whispers, placing an Arizona iced tea next to the others. Her sigh turns misty in the cold air. "I couldn't have kept it together watching everybody who knew you break down. I don't think you would have wanted to see me cry either." 

Closing her eyes, Addy clasps her hands in silent prayer. "You were always telling me to chase my dreams, Miles. I did it. I Never gave up like you told me to, and I made it. I just want to let you know how thankful I am to you." 

Addy could feel the words forming in her throat, struggling to find their way out. Her cheeks flush, and her eyes welling up with tears. Her throat bobs, forcing the words out. 

"Rest in peace." 

Those words solidified it. Miles is gone, and he isn't coming back. Everything goes, after all. She swipes at the tears angrily, holding herself as she hunches over and sobs. 

Everything goes.

(---)

"Going to sleep?" 

Liam gaze doesn't lift from the floor, another piece of crumpled paper falling from his hand. His sketchbook is barren. All that was left, was wire, cover, and back.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

His mother lets out a low hum from her throat—the door creaks. That's when Liam looks up, watching her take tiny steps inside. Her eyes are dry and puffy—circles beneath them. Liam purses his lips at the sight. 

"I just wanted to check on you because..." His mother swallows and then shakes her head.  "You got school tomorrow, and I'm just checking in to make sure you're okay...y'know?"

"I know there's school tomorrow. I just...was about to sleep." Liam says, beginning to scroll mindlessly on his phone. He can tell just fine, what's going on here. "I'm exhausted from wasting my time trying to draw so..."

Liam glances at his mother, catching the twitch in her lips and her brown eyes watering. Suddenly, she curses under her breath, wiping at her eyes with the back of her hand. She shuffles in place, toppling over a small pile and having the tip roll down onto her foot.

"You were drawing?"

"I always liked your drawings. They're nice." She lowers herself, picking up and unfurling the crumpled drawing. "You have a talent. You know that, right?" 

Mother could never take a hint. I don't think she would even care if she could. I squeeze my arm and clench my jaw. My face feels warm already. 

"Remember those drawings you made me?" 

...

I stare at the ceiling, and I grip the bed sheets hard. 

Why does everything fall apart? Why did I have to get the short end of the stick? It's so unfair. Why couldn't I be tall like everyone else? Why couldn't have money to buy things like everyone else? Why am I stuck in this stupid world that we live in?