Chapter Forty-Eight | Heart and Feelings and Stuff

ALAINA'S POV

I cross my legs underneath me as I sit on the couch in Liam's living room by myself. The sound of pots and pans clanging from the kitchen causes me to look up from the paper in my lap.

Ax stumbles over to the stairs and tries to grasp the railing, but his hand slips and he ends up falling face first into the steps. I gasp loudly and he groans, and I hear laughter coming from the other side of the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Gabby chuckles as she walks over to him and he rolls over onto his back, and my eyes widen when they land on the blood streaming out of his nose.

"I have to peeeeeee," he whines like a child and I feel a smile grace my lips. She helps him up and he lets out another groan, "I'm bleeding! I can taste it on my tongue!" He screams, causing Gabby to laugh.

"Come with me," she instructs before dragging him down the hallway behind the stairs.

Silence fills the air my eyes flicker away from the stairs and over to the kitchen, wondering what Noah is doing. I hum softly as my gaze moves back down to the picture in my hands, the small, blonde girl's smile never wavering.

Slowly, I force myself up and I walk over to the kitchen, peeking my head inside to find Noah standing at the stove with his back facing me. I stand their silently, watching his every move with soft eyes; memorizing every single thing about him.

He really is beautiful, isn't he?

A must've made an awkward noise at the thought, because it caused Noah to turn around and look at me. My brows raise as my eyes widen and a small smile appears on his lips.

"Hi," I whisper.

We've all been here for about half an hour now, and ever since we all came inside, I was hiding out in the living room and the these three remained in the kitchen. Noah and Gabby made it their job to make dinner, whereas Ax made it his job to finish of the bottle of whiskey that Liam had hidden in the back of the fridge.

"Hey," he returns, his eyes grazing over my body. After a couple of seconds pass, he averts his eyes from me and looks back at the stove. "Do..Do you want to help me?"

My eyes light up instantly and a smile appears on my face, which causes him to return it. I nod quickly and go to take a step towards him, but I realize that I'm still holding the picture between my fingertips. I look down at it instantly, causing Noah to follow my gaze.

"What's that?" He asks curiously, and my eyes find his again.

"I don't want you to be angry with me," I whisper without hesitation and his brows raise into his hairline. "But..."

The words I have been planning to say for the past ten minutes leave my brain and I just stare at him. He grabs a towel off of the counter and dries off his hands before taking a step towards me.

"Alaina?" He speaks lowly, causing a shiver to run up my spine.

"I was...in your grandmother's house," I reveal and his face turns into stone immediately, "and..." I look down at the picture before holding it out to him with drawn brows. "I found this on the floor."

His eyes flicker down to it and they turn hard, which makes my chest tighten and I bite down on my bottom lip. He takes the picture out of my hands and I watch as he studies it for a couple of seconds.

He finally looks back up at me and I meet his dark blue eyes. "I don't know why I kept it, I just...I did."

"I'm not angry with you," he whispers and my eyes widen slightly, but I don't say anything. He looks back down at the picture before sighing and scratching the back of his neck.