Hands

Katie

This morning, Jake and Jack took me to the mall to buy a chocolate cake. It's my 12th birthday and they said we would celebrate my birthday with just the five of us, like what we did on my 11th birthday and the twin's 15th birthday last year, when dad had to find a different job.

When we got back to the car in the mall parking lot, Jake and Jack took something out of the trunk. Jake pulled out a huge rectangular red box. He held it down in front of me with a huge smile on his face. Jack,who was standing beside him, lifted the cover, his dimple digging deep on his right cheek. They looked more excited than I was until I saw what was inside.

"Wow!" I squealed. There was a blue, sparkly dress inside it! And a small, metallic plastic sword with a gold, dragon-designed sword case!

When we got home, I excitedly jumped out of the car, already wearing my pretty and flowy dress and with the sword case tied around my waist. We entered the house and I looked for mom and dad to show off my brothers' gifts.

But they weren't in the living room nor in the kitchen.

I asked my brothers where mom and dad were but they raised their shoulders and said they didn't know and maybe I should check upstairs. So I quickly ran upstairs, into their room. But they weren't there too. I looked left and right, in the bathroom and in the closet. They really weren't there.

Then I heard a bang!

It sounded like the backdoor was shut close. I ran downstairs, careful not trip on the hem of my dress. My brothers weren't there anymore. I ran to the backdoor and pushed it open.

Then I screamed.

Mom and dad, my brothers and cousins, and some of my classmates and friends all screamed "Happy Birthday!"

I was screaming and laughing in shock and happiness!

They were all standing behind a table filled with colorful balloons, deliciously-looking foods and amazing cupcakes. They were also wearing different character costumes!

Dad wore a Mickey mouse cap and mom put on a Minnie mouse headband. Jack, of course, went with a Jack Frost look, wearing his usual blue loose hoodie and some brown pants. Jake was more creative. He put long, yellow socks on his yellow beanie and wore yellow pajamas and white, round goggles. If you haven't guessed it, he was aiming for Jake in adventure time look. The overall costume looked really silly but I liked it!

I ran to my mom and dad and hugged them . I thanked them for surprising me with a huge birthday bash and congratulated them for successfully keeping the party a secret from me!

After being greeted, kissed, and hugged by my relatives and all, I went to talk to my bestfriend, May. She was wearing a green dress and a pair of silver glitter-filled wings. Her straight ginger hair was tied into a bun to look more like her favorite character, Tinkerbell.

"It was so hard keeping myself from mentioning your awesome surprise party!" She quickly spoke when I approached her.

"Thank you for doing so!" I hugged her, "Wait, where's Kristof? My brothers did not forget to invite him, did they?" I asked, curling my eyebrows. My brothers pretty much hated Kristof's brother, Tim, which was why I feel like they dislike Kristof a little. There were a few times I caught them staring at him, wrinkling the middle of their eyebrows. They said they were kidding but sometimes I feel like they weren't.

"He'll be here. He's just late, like always," she giggled. I smiled in relief.

Then she gasped and pointed at my sword, "Wow, you have a sword!" Her hazel eyes widened.