0.0 preface

Dusk looms over the city, as the last peak of light begins to ebb and dwindle to nothing, welcoming another evening of rain-washed darkness

Dusk looms over the city, as the last peak of light begins to ebb and dwindle to nothing, welcoming another evening of rain-washed darkness. The balls of cotton seen in the sky during the day have shifted into streams of grey; grey like that of ash and soot.

Jimin tucks his chin downward, into the hem of his turtleneck sweater and pulls his coat closed, as he approaches the familiar entrance doors. Despite the several yellow stickers stuck on the glass panels, reading 'Caution: Automatic Door', he knows too well that they've never worked— at least in his time having used them.

He wraps his fingers around a metal handle to pull, the crisp touch stealing the warmth away from his skin, as he quickly peeks over his shoulder, for anyone he should hold for, before walking in, balling his hand into a fist and sticking it back in his pocket.

Grand Central Station is no warmer inside than out. What was once an overwhelming visual splendor, is now simply another transportation hub for Jimin. Upon stepping into the main concourse, he sighs in relief, noticing that the area is not as manically crowded and busy as it had been during the holiday just a few days ago. He is not claustrophobic, but ever since moving to the Big Apple, he's constantly conscious of the space, or the lack thereof, around him. For now, Christmas was over, the new year had begun, and Jimin can return to his regular routine.

While passing through the middle of the station, amongst the voiced boarding calls overhead, a hubbub of laughter and chatters, and a wailing baby somewhere around Jimin, the sound of singing strings makes an appearance in his ears, bringing him to a halt.

His eyes flicker towards the source of the music, taking a few steps forward to get a better view, joining a small circle of people swaying to the sound of the violin in the middle, being played by a young girl, seemly around his age. Having used Grand Central almost daily for the past half-year, it is the first time Jimin comes across a violinist busker, moreover, a female one like her, who continues to encompass her passer-bys, including himself, by playing a composition that he is ever so familiar with, yet remains fond of all the same.

Besides the melody of the instrument, all the noise around him disappears for a moment and Jimin finds a faint smile tugging on his lips that he gives into as he inclines to carry on listening. Taking his eyes off the musician for a second to glance at the grand clock in the middle of the main concourse, he knows he does not have any more time to spare for his pleasure.

He grips the wallet in his pocket, as he thinks gratuity is the least he can do to show his appreciation towards her, yet he doesn't see any indication of where to place the tip. She's not a busker, he notices that she is wholly performing for fun. A sincere feeling of admiration blooms inside Jimin towards the young girl, who managed to hearten his day in only about a minute.

Sighing in disappointment and suddenly resenting himself for needing to catch a train, Jimin turns on his heels and walks away towards his track, making sure to relish every second of the music until it drowns under the bustling of the station.