Chapter 11

Dates are an odd construct when you really dissect them. You walk around the mall or sit at a restaurant and observe the happy, flush faces of the new couples as they learn new tidbits of information about one another. Favorite food. Occupation. Basic family history. They share just enough data to scratch the surface and show hints of the realness underneath but not far enough to expose the raw, bloody truth. That's usually saved.

This was not the case of Harry and Mara. Now, on only their second date, they both had faced some of their most hidden secrets and insecurities and while they may have been ashamed to let others in, there was something in each of them that allowed them to spread their palms and reach deep within the corners of their minds - corners that had remained dimly lit for a number of years - and showcase the inner workings with pride.

Even in the midst of the bright neon of Coney Island and the loud bells and whistles of the arcade games, surrounded by fellow strangers on first, second, tenth dates - Harry and Mara walk the pier, hand in hand, in their own world.

"I'm sorry. I hope this isn't too much," Mara says, feeling the tightening grasp of Harry's hand. She knows he's never left The Mare's Nest in what seems like forever, save a few trips to the hardware or grocery store for supplies. A sensory overload for him, Coney Island was her best attempt to do for Harry what he's done for her. An effort to break him out of his shell and show him more of the world.

"It's fine," he replies with his usual dazzling smile. "It- it- it's perfect."

"What should we do first? We can get some food? Go on a ride? Oh! I know!" She points to a rundown structure in the distance, a flickering light overhead and flashing reds, blues and yellows from inside. Without waiting for a response, Mara leads Harry to the arcade to officially begin their date. "I can't even remember the last time I came here! Have you been here before?"

Harry nods with a suddenly solemn expression. "I have..."

"Is everything okay? Do you want to go?"

"N- no. Um, what do you want to play first?"

"PacMan! Last time I was here, they had the two-player version in the back. C'mon." Still holding his hand, she leads him once again until reaching the machine she so desperately wants to play. Dropping Harry's grasp, she frantically puts quarters in the side. "It's... it's not going in," she comments through gritted teeth, struggling to put in her payment to play. "Can you help? Wait. Shit the screen isn't even on. I was so excited to play I didn't even realize." Mara's excited demeanor is deflated. "Man... well... that's a bummer."

"Maybe I can go get someone to come take a look." Harry starts to walk away when she grabs his bicep to hold him back.

"No! It's totally fine. Just haven't played it in a while is all. I'll survive." Mara grins. "Let's win ourselves a prize. That'll cheer us up, yeah?"