Chapter 2: Emptiness

The years past have proven one thing for BRS.  She, more often than not, doesn't feel anything.  Not anymore, at least.  It takes a lot for her to feel anything at all.  Unfortunately, nothing like that happens anymore... 

~~~Flashback~~~

Many years ago, when she was first awakened from her forced slumber, she found a funny little species called humanity.  This species, at the time, spent its days fighting against the monsters that seemed to want nothing more than their destruction.

BRS changed that, she spent so very long hunting down the nests and lairs from which these monsters came.  The humans called them "Demons" but BRS didn't understand why.  They did not exhibit features from the demons in fantasy and religion she knew of.  Instead, they termed with limbs and bulbous, rotting flesh.

Amalgamations of animals and humans that appeared from secret labs under the broken planet.  BRS learned that Earth had been invaded by an unknown enemy, one that spent years gathering the population and putting them in camps across the globe.  There were resistance groups, of course, but they lacked the numbers and firepower to fight the menace that had taken their world.  After a time, they had simply left, letting the camps and their forces disappear overnight.  None of the humans knew why, but they were glad to have control over their world once more. 

The humans told of an awakening of these demons, where a new patrol route disturbed a great menace below, untold thousands of the monstrosities appeared from the depths of ruins and were brought to bear against a fortress teeming with life and defenses.  After a long and grueling battle, the fortress fell silent into the depths of nothingness.  Ruins were all that remained, scattered remnants of humanity's once great bastion. 

The remaining humans banded together into a temporary home.  Among the empty heights of cities, they made their home.  Among these humans, BRS had taken a liking to a male by the name of Ron.  He was not unique, nor was he important.  But she had become good friends with him nonetheless.  After a great horde of these verminous creatures invaded the remaining human camp, while BRS was away purging the monstrosities, she returned to find nothing but spent shells and blood.

This is what started her downward spiral.  Her emotions were always out of control and she couldn't understand why.  She spent an unknown amount of time systematically purging every tunnel on the continent.  She does not know what happened in this time period apart from death and the loss of her emotions.  Emptiness was all she felt apart from loneliness during the dark times.  She spent her days in a previously occupied tunnel, leaving the corpses of the once nearly innumerable enemy she fought. 

Our story begins some months after BRS had cleared the last tunnel of corruption.  Boredom overtaking her and her willingness to do anything. She yearned for something, anything to happen.  But, as time drew on, the ever hopeful BRS lost what little remained of her hope.  She believed she was alone, there was nothing for her.  But, the portal appeared and her existence was skewered. 

"Well, sister, we must teach you of your heritage." WRS started to lead BRS into an ornate structure some distance away.  BRS supposed that answers would come in time and followed.  "It started with the invasion, as you know." WRS started, taking BRS through a number of pictures and writings on the walls, depicting the history of the "greys" as she would learn.  "We were created from a captured Xeno's DNA, mixed with human, of course.  I was among the first to be created and successfully armed with alien weaponry.  As well as being given the most uncontaminated DNA, I was mostly alien, like you.  You were meant to be mass produced while I was just a prototype.  Sadly, the planet fell before many more of us were created.  There are still a few out there, fighting like you were, but they have yet to be located." As she walked, she ran her hand across the glass-like material telling of this history.

"There were only a few produced, many, like you. But a few were created as prototypes, relying more on human DNA, making them less powerful.  As the first to be cloned and successfully armed with weaponry befitting my genetic code, I was tasked with training the new clones.  I imagine you were lost somewhere in transit." She eyed BRS as she continued.  After the fall, I and some other greys were taken aboard the enemy's ship.  Fighting our way out of captivity and into the heart of the ship, we incurred many unfortunate casualties.  One of my gifted disciples remained, her innate understanding of the technology allowing her to evacuate what was left of our siblings across the globe and taking the hostile ship, along with whatever forces remained, away.  I managed to find this place completely on accident, using it to keep myself safe and to search for the others. 

She stopped in front of a picture of her and many others who resembled BRS, placing her hand on the display casing.  "Upon my return to this dimension, I learned that humanity had fallen and that those monsters roamed.  I had almost lost hope but after months of searching, I found you." She turned to you once again. "Now, we must find whoever is left, I will train you to use our weapons and abilities.  You will become one of us, and together..." She put her hands on BRS' shoulder.  "We may yet save what remains of humanity and their achievements."