Earth and Fire || Negan and Blake Mutant AU

Author's Note: So the amazing KittyKatZorse has been kind enough to let me attempt to play around with her amazing character Blake and her relationship with Negan. I had sent in a few AU ideas and Mutant/Marvel stood out to me. Thank you for letting me write this. Still not sure I got their dynamic exactly right. But it was fun to move outside my comfort zone a bit. Unbeta-ed so mistakes are my own.

***********************************************

It had been a relatively quiet afternoon. Which all things considered, was rather unusual in a school full of young mutants. Not a single soul was willing to jinx it though by saying anything, an unspoken rule that everyone knew. Something Blake had quickly learned.

She had only been at the school for a few weeks now, still getting settled into the ebb and flow of the daily routine. Here, no one knew her past, no one knew who she used to be, who she used to be with. It was freeing in a lot of ways. A level of comfort was finally coming back to her, in movements, in decisions, in everything she did. That weight that was David hovering over her was gone. He had been foolish and gotten himself in a tussle with a feral mutant. Those were scenes Blake would never forget. The grieving had finished a few days before she ended up here at the Institute. Every mutant knew it was a refuge of some sort. It was a place one could pick themselves back up off the floor, brush the dust off, and begin again.

Of course everyone had to contribute. Her portion was a new garden to help the food supplies since she was an earth elemental mutant. Money didn't seem to be an issue around here but it was fun to get some of the kids in the dirt with her. Since it wasn't a mandatory class or skill, those that showed up were eager to learn. It made things a lot easier and Blake found her smile coming back easier and easier with each day. There was an ease and familiarity in the motions. Her powers kept her grounded as she went through the motions.

She was digging a few new holes to plant a few fruits trees. The plan was to have some apple, pear, and peach trees in various places around the grounds. It would not only increase the softness and welcoming atmosphere of the grounds but it would give the students places to sit and grab a quick snack. It was another notch in making it a place for them to be comfortable and enjoy themselves.

"Hey Blake!" She looked up when she heard Scott call out her name. Giving the man a smile, she leaned back on her heels.

"What can I do for you Scott?"

"Well, I just got word from the Professor that we have another elemental coming in. Supposedly he is an earth one like you are. From what I understand he lost his wife and the group that he was running with. I was hoping you might be there when he comes in. Maybe finding someone who has that similar feel might be more comforting to him." Scott was always thinking about others more than himself. It was a change that had taken her some time to get used to.

"Yeah, of course. I know how tough it is coming into a place like this, as nice as everyone is." It was intimidating and overwhelming. Coming to a place with this many mutants, especially young ones took time to adjust to.

Blake brushed off the dirt on her gloves.

"When are you expecting him to come in?"

"Jean should be bringing him back right before dinner so you have some time to finish up what you are doing. They are looking great by the way."

"Thanks. They'll take some time to grow but it's a solid foundation." She was proud of the work she had done, a fond smile on her lips as she took in the sapling that was ready to be planted.

"Everyone is going to love having them around." He gave her one final smile before moving off. Blake shook her head with the smile still on her face before finishing the task at hand.