Chapter 8: Bye Justin! Hello Senior year!

“Danielle come say good bye before we leave!” my father called to me through to car window. 

“Honey, be gentle with her! You don’t know how she’s taking this.”

I heard my mother say to him. She’s right. He didn’t know how I was taking this. Hell, I don’t even know how I’m taking this. All I know is everybody is out there waiting for me to say my good byes to my brother. My brother. The only solid thing I have had in my life while my parents went off on many business trips. The only solid thing I had in my life after Devin left. The only solid thing I had in my life period. He wasn’t only my brother. He was my best friend, my protector, my shoulder to cry on, the person I ran to if I had a bad dream, the one who red me bed time storied when I was little, the one who would do anything for me, and the one I can trust the most in this world. I can’t believe he’s leaving. I looked out the window to the huge campus in front of me. The university I would hopefully be attending after my senior year. New York University. I took in the view. It was breathtaking. Well as breath taking as a college campus could be. I remembered the flight here. My parents forced me to come because, and I quote, “It would be easier to let him go.” They make it sound like he’s going to be gone forever. That and I highly doubt it’s going to make this process any easier.  Well it’s now or never. I have to go out now or my dad is going to drag me out. I unlocked the only barrier between reality and me. As I walked towards him I felt my heart getting heavier. I can’t do this. I turned around and started walking back towards the car.

“Danielle Anna Summers, don’t you dare walk away from me like that.” I stopped walking   “Because if you do, I can’t come after you. If you leave, I’m going to be left here a whole year without hearing you say goodbye. Then I’m going to have to start crying, and then everybody is going to call me a big baby, and then my whole reputation is going to be ruined and it’s going to be your entire fault. Do you want that for me Dani?” I shook my head, still not facing him. “Good, now stop being such a damn coward and get you little ass over here.” I turned around and started walking towards him again. After a few steps, I couldn’t take it any longer and I broke out in a sprint for my brother. His warm arms awaited me.

“I’m going to miss you Justin! So much. You can’t leave me Justin!” Tears flooded down my face and my words became less and less understandable.

“Baby girl. I have to.”

“No! You can attend community college back home for a year and- and wait for me. You can wait for me. It’ll only be a year.”

“It’s too late honey and besides you’re right, I’ll only be gone a year and then you’ll join me.”

“Justin I can’t! I can’t live a whole year with out you. What am I going to do without Justin? Who’s going to beat up all the boy who break me heart? Who’s going to be my shoulder to cry on? Who’s going to read me a bedtime story when I can’t fall asleep? Who’s going to be the one I stay up with all night playing video game with Just because? Who’s going to be to person to tell me everything’s going to be ok when I’m at me weakest? Who?” The tears flooded even harder as I cried my eyes out.

“I’ll still be here whenever you need me! I’m just a phone call away. I’ll visit every single chance I get. Until you come join me at this school, you’re just going to have to leave that to someone else and I know the perfect person.”  I followed his gaze to Devin “Danielle, believe me. He can do all those things and more if you let him. He loves you, not as much as I love you, but he loves you. He loves you so much he went to rehab to get better, for you! Did you know that? He went to rehab for you! He wanted to get clean for you! So there would be one less thing holding you guys apart. You have to give him the chance to show you how much he loves you. I trust him to take care of you.” Devin came up next to me.