Nineteen

I sat there shocked. He expects just as much of his Luna as my grandpa did. He actually wants a Luna to help him run the pack like its meant to be.

I had a feeling that he would say that his Luna was there to raise pups and help people with their problems. Or be like a counsellor with a very minor role who thinks she's helping.

I stared at him and he suddenly looked really nervous.

"Blake if you don't want to, I understand. It's a lot to take on, and you didn't exactly have a choice. I really would love for us to run our pack together. Like my parents did. But I get that this situation isn't exactly ideal for you." He cut himself off from continue his rant.

I sat there silent because I was trying to determine if this would be his attitude up until we mated or if he would he flip like my father. I had a feeling he wouldn't.

"Blake, please say something. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Or if you have other ideas... anything. Please, say something."

"Something."

He sighed and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear, "What are you thinking? Why are you scared?"

Scared? Okay, maybe I was panicking a little. It wasn't the responsibility, it was just that I didn't want him to take it all back after we mated.

I don't know if my wolf could remain sane as we sat idly by.

He interrupted my thoughts as he gently tilted my head up so I would meet his eye. He looked so worried, and- I don't even know. Panicked? There were so many emotions. We sat there until he sighed quietly, "How about we just sleep on it?"

"Have you always thought this way?"

"What?" he seemed shocked by my sudden question, "Um yeah. I used to question dad about what mom did. I guess I just thought that's what they did. Dad always told me they were equals. I guess I took it to heart."

"Will you always think this way?"

"Blake if you don't have the same opinion we'll compromise, it's not a problem."

"Caden, the problem is that I agree with you. Luna's should do things to run the pack."

"How is that a problem?" He asked confused.

"Because if I end up sitting idly by my wolf is going to go rogue. She won't be able to take it. And nor will I. I've always thought the same way, so if I end up just watching, it won't end well."

"I just told you I wanted us to run our pack. Why would you think you won't get to?" He was getting more confused by the second.

I sighed and made myself clear everything up, "My grandfather and I were really close. My fathers dad, our old alpha. We were always together. His mate and him ran the pack how you described, she was like a mother to all of us. And my grandpa relied on her like he relied on his lungs. They were so close. Everyone knew one without the other was useless."

"Blake I still don't get it."

"I want that. I've always wanted that. That's why I have always wished for fated mates. I assumed my mate would want the same thing." I paused as I glanced up at him, "My mom and I talked the day before I left my p-old pack." I corrected myself, "She said my father always thought the same way as grandpa. He wanted a strong Luna to help run the pack with him, one that he relied on. She said how she fell in love with a guy who died though, because after they mated he pulled away. She was cast aside. She has no role in the pack. Actually, she has no role in his life at all. most don't know they're mates. 

"Blake I won't do that. I've always thought this way. And to answer your question, yes. I will always think this way."

"And if my mom had asked my father before they mated, he probably would've said the same thing."