Chapter 1 p.2

"Ravenwood!" The Duke of Ashton declared, genuinely pleased to see the ton's most notorious bachelor joining in on the pleasantries to be had at the King's court. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company this evening?" It was no secret that the young Marquess preferred his clubs or country weekend parties over the rigid formality found in the Monarch's palace.

"Boredom, I suppose, your Grace." William Kent, the Marquess of Ravenwood, replied with a grin. "Whites was positively dull this evening. Feeling no desire to sit through the opera, I thought to investigate a rumor that is floating about." Will's grin turned positively lecherous, "I have heard it told that the King has a lovely new pet on display."

The Duke leaned back, bringing his hands to rest on his midsection as he chortled with amusement. "That he does, my friend, that he does. And lovely she is, though I doubt this one will interest you much. Rumor has it she's the wife of a pirate seeking pardon. A pirate with the most unusual name. Violet... Violet Leaves, or some poetic thing such as that."

Will's brow twitched with the Duke's butchering of the pirate's name. He knew who Violet Petals was, and if it was his wife on display, then she was none other than his sister's former companion, Elizabeth. Or Bitsy, as Will had always called her. Will turned his attention towards the throne where Elizabeth perched on a stool next to the king. Keen interest shone in his eyes as he took in her appearance. No more was she the shy, plain girl he used to tease. She had blossomed into a most lovely woman. Her mousey brown hair was even different, now a smooth chestnut with golden strands reflecting the light.

"On the contrary, your Grace." Will's gaze left Elizabeth reluctantly to return to Ashton, "I am much interested, for she and I are old friends. She was raised in our household, my sister's companion, as it were."

"Truly?" Ashton mused, "It makes one wonder how such a person could meet and marry a pirate." 

"From what my mother has told me about the man, he assisted my brother in law in lifting his ship from a reef, taking the girl's hand in marriage as payment. My brother in law married them himself." Will also wondered how Elizabeth could have done such a thing, however, feeling no need to discuss the topic with Ashton, Will knew he would save that inquiry for the lady in question.

"Well, now, how peculiar." Ashton's eyes narrowed slightly as he studied the Marquess, "Speaking of your mother, Ravenwood, how is she? Your family must be extremely pleased to have her back; I'd wager. Whatever will you do with yourself now that you won't have to scramble to fill your family's coffers faster than your father can empty them?"

Will knew Ashton well enough not to take offense, smiling confidently, Will assured him, "I've acquired a few hobbies along the way despite my family's affairs, your Grace. I suppose I may even venture into a new trade or two to combat the boredom." Will could not keep his eyes from drifting back to the small brunette beside the King. "Now, if you will excuse me, I would like to request a dance with the guest of honor."

Ashton chuckled at Will's reply, "Of course, be on your way then. Perhaps I will see you in the card room later, and we may play a few hands."

Will nodded graciously, "Most likely so, your Grace."

Will left Ashton's company and began to move through the crush of the crowd towards the dais where Elizabeth sat with the King. Ashton's query concerning his mother still lingered in Will's mind. His mother had been taken from their family when Will was still a child, and she had only returned to them two months ago. While she was gone, his father had done everything he could to find her, pouring the families fortune out to follow every lead. Will did not resent his father's efforts in the least. However, once coming of age, Will could easily see that his family's fortune that had grown from generation to generation, was in serious jeopardy. Will had turned first to their holdings, reviewing and personally visiting each estate they owned. He brought in new equipment to sow the fields and reap their harvests. He introduced new bloodlines into the stables and hired new knowledgeable staff to oversee each venture, cutting them in at a healthy commission. Once their properties were in line, Will had turned his attention to the family's shipping fleet. His father had owned three ships when Will began, within five years they had eight. Today they had fourteen. And when the King had summoned Will to do his bidding, the real adventures had begun.