Magic Bullet

"If Derek isn't the Alpha, if he's not the one who bit you then who is?" Stiles says leaning over his desk to talk to Scott.

"I don't know." Scott shrugs.

"Did the Alpha kill the bus driver?"

"I don't know." He repeats.

"Does Allison's dad know about the-"

"I don't know!" Scott says too loudly, making a few people turn to look at him. The teacher finally makes his way to us, handing back our recent tests. Stiles got an A, so did I, and Scott got... a D-.

"Dude..." Stiles says. "You need to study more."

Scott just turns the test over on his desk.

"That was a joke." Stiles said. "Scott, it's one test. You're gonna make it up. Do you want help studying?"

"No." Scott sighs. "I'm studying with Allison after school today."

"That's my boy!" Stiles grins.

"We're just studying." Scott rolls his eyes.

"Uh-un. No, you're not."

"I'm not?" Scott asks.

"Not if I'm forced to live vicariously through you." Stiles says. "If you go to her house today and squander that colossal opportunity, I swear to god, I'll have you de-balled."

"Okay." Scott gives up. "Just stop with the questions, man."

"Done. No more questions." Stiles promises. "No more talk about the Alpha or Derek."

Thank god. I still don't know what the hell happened last night. I still felt crazy for having this weird trust in Derek. But it's not as if I could tell them that. They'd think I was crazy, or he was manipulating me somehow.

"Especially Derek." Stiles rambles on. "Who still scares me."

The bell finally rings for the last time today, and I head to Stiles's car with him.

"Do you think Derek knows who the Alpha is?" Stiles asks, getting in the jeep.

"I thought we weren't gonna talk about Derek for the rest of the day?" I asked. And to be honest, I didn't know.

"All right fine." Stiles shrugs. He pulls out of the space and starts driving out of the parking lot.

"Oh my god!" He gasps. Stiles slams on the breaks. I look up and Derek is standing in front of his car. He doesn't look okay, like he's sick or something. And I was right, he collapsed on his back in the street.

"You gotta be kidding me, this guy's everywhere." Stiles throws up his hands. Cars start honking behind us, trying to get out. I jump out of the jeep, and Scott runs over as well, abandoning his bike on the sidewalk.

"What the hell?" He says. "What are you doing here?" He asks a barely conscious Derek.

"I was shot..." He breathes, sitting up.

"Why aren't you healing?" I ask.

"I can't." He says. "It was a different kind of bullet."

"A silver bullet?" Stiles asks excitedly.

"No, you idiot." Derek rolls his eyes.

"Wait. That's what she meant when she said you had 48 hours." Scott says.

"What? Who said 48 hours?" Derek asks.

"The one who shot you." Scott says.

"You were there?" I asked. More cars honk and Stiles jeep, and Derek winces in pain, his eyes flashing between blue and brown.