Page Break

-Flashback-

Kids screams filled the playground. The teachers stood at their posts in different sections. The sun beamed down on them all but the kids didn't care. A young Amber sat alone under the shade of a tree. She secretly read a book that she had taken from the library. It was called Black Phoenix. Wood chips and dirt was sprayed into her face and she yelped. Looking up she recognized it was a fifth grader. She herself was only a third grader.

"Hey!" She said shielding her face. The boy stopped kicking the wood chips and stood in front of her. He was a scrawny little boy with a healing busted lip and a cut above his eyebrow.

"You want to go out with me?" he asked. Amber immediately frowned. Her grandmother always told her that boys were gross and caused nothing but trouble. She simply shook her head no, her beads hitting the side of her face.

"That's why you ugly anyway!" the boy yelled. He flew upon her kicking, punching, and grabbing her braids. Amber shrieked as she tried to block the blows while trying to throw some back.
"Get off of me!" She cried. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to defend herself. She was able to kick him between his legs and he fell down with a howl. When she stood, she was quickly turned around.
"I saw what you did. You're going to the principal's office right now," the teacher said grabbing Amber by her wrist. The next thing she knew the teacher had let go of her wrist screaming in pain.

-End of Flashback-

"We can't keep her here Dennis...there will be much risk involved."

"Do you think she'll like the Beast?"

"I'm not letting her out of my sight."

Amber hid in the corner of the cold and dust ridden room that she was in. There was no bed in the room, just a small blanket that laid on the ground with a small pillow. She was stripped of her clothes except her bra, underwear, and undershirt. She watched as the shadow under the door paced back and forth. The door handle rattled and she slid up the wall from her crouched position. The door creaked open and her heart pounded in her chest. It was so loud that it was hard for her to hear the cautious footsteps entering. She noticed the glasses first. Dennis entered the room slowly looking around. As he walked in further Amber slid closer to the door. Dennis walked over to the other side and Amber stepped around the open door.
She slipped through and turned around but she let out a scream startling the four girls on the floor. Dennis grabbed her by the waist pulling her back inside. The four girls watched in horror. Amber screamed, kicked, scratched at the walls but with one forceful pull she was back inside. Dennis tossed her in and she stumbled onto the ground. The dirt prickled and poked at her skin as she scrambled to her feet. Dennis frowned looking at her standing at the door.
"Look Amber, now your...things are dirty, take them off," he said in a monotone. Amber shook her head.
"I'm not taking shit off, where are my other clothes?" She yelled. Dennis took a step and Amber threw the pillow. It hit him in the chest and he froze. The damage had been done.
"Why would you do that?" Dennis snapped.
"Where am I Dennis?" She screamed. When he didn't respond she picked up a handful of dirt. Marching up to him he backed up and grabbed her wrist.
"I swear I will smear this all over your fucking face if you don't tell me what I'm doing here?" She said. He looked at her with his dark eyes. She felt herself soften and then remembered the situation. The last time they were like this, together Amber had finally made the decision to make their relationship official. They were at the same bookstore they met in. It was a late night and just the two of them in the store. She walked back to their table from getting a book. There was a slick spot on the floor and thankfully Dennis was able to catch her before her head met the sharp corner of the table. In that moment, gazing into his eyes, she leaned in a kissed his smooth soft lips. Later that night she sat at her laptop with butterflies in her stomach as she changed her Facebook status from single to taken.

"Unfortunately, it's not up for me to decide this time," he said. She snapped out of reminiscing and pulled away. She walked back over to the blanket and unclasped her bra. Dennis stared at her and the raised his hand.
"It won't be necessary anymore-." She tossed her bra in his face.
"You've seen me naked before," she said, "since you'll probably wash them anyway make sure you air dry it!"
Dennis simply grabbed them and turned to leave.
"I didn't mean for this to happen Amber...I still love you," he muttered.
"Bullshit! I wish I never even met you! Crazy! You're crazy Dennis! Certi-fucking-fide crazy!"
Dennis walked out and slammed the door. Amber screamed at the top of her lungs before dropping to a crouched position. What she hadn't realized was that a pink flower was placed next to her pillow.